PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin

Joseph Przybyla
01-26-2014, 08:08 AM
I captured this image in October at Circle B Bar Reserve, a nature preserve in Polk County, Florida. The Limpkin feeds on mollusks, mainly the Apple Snail. It is found in southeastern United States and other countries.

Nikon D7000, Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 200mm, 1/500, f/8, ISO 360

Julie Brown
01-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Joseph. I like the feather detail, blurred background, and how the bird and foreground vegetation is separated from the background. The whole bird looks to be sharp at f8. If it is within your ethics, removing the leaf and twig touching the tail feathers might be an option. The position of the head and neck is interesting-HA slightly away (nit), but this is a very fine pose and image.

joshua lincoln
01-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Great picture, wonderful bird.
It might have been nicer with the head turned towards, rather than slightly away from you.
Regarding the business of the vegetation and the vegetation coming up to the tail region, I might see if it doesn't look more appealing without that small bit of vegetation or the vertical piece of grass just to the left of it (it would be quicker and easier to remove that).
Bokeh is very pleasing, beautiful shot.

Looks like while I was composing this, Julie below made similar comments. It seems we both had the same thoughts.

Marina Scarr
01-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Super BG and perch. Really like the pose too but wish the limpkin were facing the viewer just a tad more.

Bill Dix
01-26-2014, 11:10 AM
A fine shot of one of my bucket-list birds. I like the bg and the great pose. And the comp. I could imagine a little selective pruning as suggested above. A slight head turn would have brought this up a notch.

gail bisson
01-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I really like this.
The head turn doesn't bother me at all because it resulted in the face getting full sun and thus great eye detail.
The BG has a Monet painterly feel to it.
Good comp and I am OK with the vegetation as is but would be fine with a bit of trimming,
Gail

Stu Bowie
01-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Joseph, love the light, and the Limpkin shows great feather detail, and overall nice and sharp. That BG is sweet. A slightly better HA would have put this over the top. Still, well captured.

vishaljadhav
01-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Nice exposure and a lovely BG
the HA may be the only small nit

Sidharth Kodikal
01-26-2014, 02:15 PM
The rich green perch, completely in the DOF, and the nicely OOF painterly BG work together to give an excellent sense of place.
The light, your exposure and the pose is great. Your comp is well suited to this pose.
A more ideal HA would have taken this over the top.
TFS Joe, and keep them coming.

dankearl
01-27-2014, 01:15 AM
Nice find and very nice habitat shown.
Well done.

Joseph Przybyla
01-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Thank you all for viewing and commenting. I appreciate suggestions offered to improve the image. To those who suggested the vegetation near the bird I will see if it can be done without messing up the tail feathers.