PDA

View Full Version : Windswept

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Today was fairly warm with the outside temp hovering around 0 degrees C, however, the temperature dropped quickly later in the day and a strong, brutally cold wind developed. I had to go out and play around with some windswept snow scenes along my rural road with my new toy - Sony RX100. This is such an amazing little camera and I do mean little...it will fit in virtually any pocket with ease. I have been trying to get used to using it as I will be putting into a housing for underwater photography on the Caribbean Island of Cayman Brac in February.

By the time I had finished grabbing a few images it was time to hurry back to the house to thaw my near frozen fingertips...yikes it was cold!

Sony RX100 (in RAW mode)
ISO 400
f10 @ 1/100 second
28-100mm lens @ 42mm

Look forward to comments.

dankearl
01-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Very nice, Andrew.
You really brought out the depth of field in this and the snow is a perfect shade of white.

David Stephens
01-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Nice composition, with a diagonal from lower right up to the left. I like the contrast as is, but I wonder how it'd look in black and white with even more contrast.

Rachel Hollander
01-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi Andrew - I like this a lot. Nice control of the whites with good detail too. The comp works with the placement of the ridges and the blowing snow. Well seen and captured.

TFS,
Rachel

Dvir Barkay
01-26-2014, 10:42 AM
very nice, I would crop off a bit from the top, a bit above the diagonal that goes up to the right. Also a bit more contrast.

Diane Miller
01-26-2014, 06:10 PM
This is just wonderful!! It could be an aerial view of Siberia.

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Hey Andrew, pretty cool image with such a 'little' camera :bg3:, good depth and detail within the overall image, great work.
Is the 'housing' dedicated to the camera, perhaps try it in the tub? You should get some cracking stuff off the Cayman Brac. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andrew McLachlan
01-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks folks much appreciate the comments.

Steve...it is a dedicated housing so that I have access to all of the functions of the camera while underwater...underwater photography is new territory for me so it should be fun or frustrating :S3: My plan is to stay in shallow (10 feet) and use the available light...if I get some decent stuff I will post in Wildlife upon my return.

Rachel Hollander
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Andrew - I hope you get some great underwater images and look forward to your posting them in Wildlife. It will add a bit to the variety as well.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2014, 03:02 PM
This is lovely and subtle Andrew. I'd be interested in getting a sense of scale here? Looks like a valley and dunes but it could be a square foot of snow shot at close range? :S3: