PDA

View Full Version : Pro-size Camera Attached to Long Lens in Bag?

Jim Keener
01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
It would make things a lot easier to fit additional lenses into the bag if I left a 1DX attached to a 500mm lens. But. It seems to me that would increase the likelihood of damage to the camera and/or lens where the lens attaches if I did that?

Is there experience here that answers that question?

Thanks, Jim.

David Stephens
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
It's designed to withstand those stresses, which I don't think will be too high in a properly designed and arranged bag. Generally you're able to move the padding around in the bag and brace things that need to be braced. In the bag there should be much less stress than when you carry the camera and lens around shooting, holding it by the foot, mounted on a tripod, mounted on a monopod or hanging from the lens strap. Try not to hold the whole rig by the camera only.

Jim Keener
01-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. Visited your Flickr site. I especially liked the closeup of the red tailed hawk.

Your comments make sense. I also like the idea of not having to open the camera and rear of the lens in what might be adverse conditions.

Walk well.

Barry Ekstrand
01-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I posed the same question to Arthur Morris in an email, but also focusing on traveling with them attached. Arthur highly recommended not attaching the body to the super telephoto lens in that circumstance due to the mount damage risk. Just wanting to pass this on.

Jim Keener
01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you, Barry. That's what intuition told me. Big lens and big camera are very different from what I'm used to. So much to learn. But I think I'm in the right place.

Doug Brown
01-28-2014, 08:29 AM
I never travel with my big glass attached to a camera body. I've seen people with lenses that they can't remove from their bodies because of bent mounts. It costs hundreds of dollars to fix.

van bogaert erik
01-28-2014, 11:53 AM
I never travel with my big glass attached to a camera body. I've seen people with lenses that they can't remove from their bodies because of bent mounts. It costs hundreds of dollars to fix.

with travel you mean by air and long drives ,?? I leave my body attached to my lens when i am walking in a nature reserve or a short drive with a bicycle (off course in a backpack then )