PDA

View Full Version : Taking off (Red-breasted Merganser).

Karl Egressy
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
I chose this cut to leave out a floating slab of ice from the top.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 5D M III
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS II. + 1.4x III.
ISO 800
1/3200
f7.1
HH.

joshua lincoln
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I think it is a great shot. The only thing I could even remotely find to critique is if the eye were sharper, but that is nit-picking.

gail bisson
01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Nice to see you posting again Karl.
I like the IQ and the wing blur. Head is nice and sharp.
I also like the water ripples in the RLC.
Comp wise I would be tempted to make this more of a pano and take a bit more off the top and add abit to the LHS if you have it.
I find the wing pose a bit awkward for my taste but that is a personal preference issue.
Gail

Loi Nguyen
01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi Karl, good timing. I find the image a little soft. Was it a big crop? I'm surprised that you would see wing blur at 1/3200. Loi

Karl Egressy
01-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Nice to see you posting again Karl.
I like the IQ and the wing blur. Head is nice and sharp.
I also like the water ripples in the RLC.
Comp wise I would be tempted to make this more of a pano and take a bit more off the top and add abit to the LHS if you have it.
I find the wing pose a bit awkward for my taste but that is a personal preference issue.
Gail

Thanks, Gail.
I haven't been out as much as I used to due to sicknesses in the family. (wife and son)

Karl Egressy
01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi Karl, good timing. I find the image a little soft. Was it a big crop? I'm surprised that you would see wing blur at 1/3200. Loi
Thanks, Loi.
It was not a big crop at all, the bird was very close.
This duck is the fastest flying duck at 100 miles per hour and I think that's what you see.
Plus the closer you are, the more visible of the wing blur becomes.

David Salem
01-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Nice capture Karl. I think it looks plenty sharp and I like the comp you chose. Not my favorite wing position but nice none the less. Hope your family gets better and you get out soon.

Holger Leyrer
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
The landing pose is super. But i agree with David. This is not my favorite wing position.
However, you have captured this fast duck very good. Perfect exposure control and wonderful colors and BG.

Bret Goddard
01-26-2014, 03:19 PM
A beauty!