PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Life

Dvir Barkay
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/12078142186_bbce4c479a_o.jpg

A lone tree stands in silhouette of the dusk light over Cappadocia, Turkey. I liked how the tree contrasted the blue sky and so I tried composing so the trees branches come out of the top corners.

Sony A700, Sony 16-50@28mm, Handheld
f/8, ISO 400, 1/60s, Virtually all of the original image

Don Railton
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi Bvir... Nice symmetry, but its not doing much else for me, sorry...! I think the black (espc the foreground) is too dominant and traps the eye in there because there are no line or detail to let the eye wander over.. I see there is some foreground detail, have you tried lifting this?? be interesting to see what others think..

regards

DON

Dvir Barkay
01-21-2014, 11:40 PM
I agree that its not an image that wows exactly, I felt it was nice with some nice tones and symmetry, and I really appreciate the honesty here. Its actually only one of two images that got me the editors pick on naturescapes, I still have no clue why this and not some of my other work got the pick. But I guess it comes down to personal taste.

David Stephens
01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I love the layers of colors, which impart power by themselves. The tree silhouette is additive for me.

Dvir Barkay
01-23-2014, 02:02 PM
I am glad you like it :S3:

Dave Mills
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
I happen to like this image. What saves it for me is the fact I can make out the detail in the shadows. If the details weren't there there would be too much neg space. The tree symetry works for me also....

Andrew McLachlan
01-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Dvir, I too like this image, but what is bugging me a little is the amount of blacks across the top of the frame...I prefer it with a small crop off the top so that the blacks do not dominate as much of the top edge...I like it with a crop just down to where the sliver of sky is showing between the branches. Nice work!

dankearl
01-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Colors are attractive…
I would lighten the FG more, more detail would look better for me juxtaposed with the tree.

Dvir Barkay
01-27-2014, 05:12 PM
There are actually almost no details in the backround as it is at f/4 so they are nice and blurred. Also they are mostly in the darks so not too many details.

Diane Miller
01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I find the tree very attractive and the sky wonderful. (I love gradients!)

One idea is to lighten the BG a little up through the haze layer in the sky and then darken it even more toward the bottom edge. If the tree trunk runs off the bottom it will pull the eye there. Here's a very crude approximation of the idea. It could create too much noise in the underexposed BG, but I wouldn't mind it being out of focus -- in fact that would be an asset, helping make the tree stand out more.

Dvir Barkay
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the idea, I will try that out. I shall post later.