PDA

View Full Version : Poles apart

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Well I thought I would post this one in comparison to the snowy weather on the eastern side that has provided some exceptional images recently.

Taken at around 9.50am in rather wetter condition than we had hoped for, with buffeting winds and torrential rain, the owls, Jamie and myself just hunkered down and saw the inclement weather out, which was around mid afternoon. A good day and the kit soldier on through, until it was put in the car and everything just fogged, but hey, that's life.

I would have preferred with the FG owl a bit more head turn to the right so the second eye was visible, but sadly they would not cooperate. Could also loose some image content above too.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Snowy owls in the rain (Bubo scandiacus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 Gitzo tripod/Wimberely head (Lenscoat weather proof covering)
Exposure: 1/125s at f/5.6 ISO12500 almost FF

Dvir Barkay
01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
For me that is beautiful. As I scrolled down I thought it wasn't sharp because at first I only saw the top owl, but soon I realized that there are two. The colors are beautiful and the sharpness is very good. It might have made the sharp owl stick out a bit more if it didn't blend as much into the second owl, but that isn't up to you. Overall I really like this, and wouldn't really change a thing.

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi Steve - It's nice to see the snowy in different environments and the dark browns of the bg really show them off well. Agree with your self-critique but nothing you could really do, except perhaps move left if you could do so without disturbing them. There is a reason you have been given the nickname "Mr. Detail", the details here are amazing.

TFS,
Rachel

Allen Sklar
01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Love the dirt and detail, don't really miss the other eye too much.

keith mitchell
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi Steve, Like Dvir when I scrolled down could not believe my eyes then I got to the sharp one and it is sharp(ISO12500) that's impressive, I do like the rainy dark atmosphere and would keep it just as it is if it was mine( I should be so lucky) excellent.

Keith.:S3::S3::S3:

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Wow, I missed the ISO, even more impressive!

Steve Kaluski
01-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Sorry folks, just did a Jonathan A, the ISO was 1250, I wish the IQ was that good at 12,500. :bg3:

Richard Unsworth
01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Technically outstanding as I would expect.
Not sure ref the owl behind tbh though you handled what you had impeccably

Arthur Morris
01-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Only two???

Kudos on getting out in bad weather. I like the image. The juxtaposition would have been stronger it you could have gotten a bit more to your left as per Rache and DVLR Barkley...

Steve Kaluski
01-22-2014, 03:30 AM
Thanks folks.

Hi Artie, these guys hang out sitting on the drift wood swept in, the size of telegraph poles, so you have to plan your route at times and negotiate obstacles, so I wanted to avoid spooking them or slipping on the wet logs with the kit, but hey, no excuses, I agree. :S3: Next month it will be with the 1Dx's the standard 500, plus your favourite lens, fingers crossed, thanks for swinging by. :w3

Richard Unsworth
01-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Please take note I just had a spam email re this post
ie a post notification - deleted it

christopher galeski
01-22-2014, 08:37 AM
nice cpture,like the overcast light,sharpness and detail spot on,like the perch.TFS.

Holger Leyrer
01-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I like this image. It is dirty, it is raining and the owls looks not amused. Exposure control is perfect and the BG fits to the white owl