PDA

View Full Version : Snowy in a Snow Storm

Andrew McLachlan
01-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't get over to Avian too often, but today I went to check out one of the Snowy Owls that is hanging out in the fields near my rural home. It was a very blustery day with snow squalls blowing through the area, but I sort of like the look of the owl in the inclement weather...WDYT?

A soy bean crop was grown in this field last summer so I assume that mice and voles are abundant as they forage beneath the snow for the spilled beans from the harvest.

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-400mm lens @ 280mm
ISO 1250 (it was very windy)
f16 @ 1/1000 (and I wanted to catch some snow flakes too)
tripod & utilized Live View to manually focus on the owl

Look forward to comments

John Robinson
01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Andrew
That really does set the scene - so to speak. I
like some detail in the backdrop of an image however small but this has the lot- and not too dominant either.
You are so lucky to have some of the stuff you do over there !!
Great stuff.
John

Sidharth Kodikal
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM
This is a phenomenally successful image imho, Andrew.
I wouldn't change a thing - I like it all.
I never print or hang photos, but if I had this one (I wish), it would be on a wall. A huge winner in my book.

Marina Scarr
01-19-2014, 09:58 PM
What a spectacular image, Andrew. When I saw it on FB, I was hoping you would post it here. It depicts the conditions so well and is quite a powerful image!

Doug Brown
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Top notch image Andrew! The only thing I might consider is a slight crop off the bottom. What a wonderful wintery scene! You should make it over to Avian more often!

Diane Miller
01-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Wonderful! I was also thinking to take a little off the bottom before I read Doug's post.

dankearl
01-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Very cool, Andrew.
I like the comp as is, it seems more isolated with the room at the bottom.
Well seen and executed.

keith mitchell
01-20-2014, 03:34 AM
Hi Andrew, this really is the top's! I love these type of shots and this one is up there with the best IMHO.

Keith.:S3::S3::S3:

Rachel Hollander
01-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Hi Andrew - excellent owlscape depicting the winter weather. Blow it up big.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi Andrew, this to me is all based on your skill-set as a Landscape photographer and how you compose your images, Dan & Arash have got the wonderful fly by's, you have the environment!
Great to see the fantastic breadth of images coming out of the hard winter, great work Andrew, just wish some of that snow would come to the West coast now. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
01-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Wow Andrew! This is art.
Love the snow and the trees and the tack sharp owl.
I might take a bit off the bottom but love it as is.
I wish I had known you were so close by-it would have been nice to arrange a meeting!
gail

eddyswan
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Absolutely stunning image with great atmosphere.

Randy Stout
01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Andrew:

Most excellent and very instructional as well. We tend to get in close up ruts on Avian, myself included, and stepping back (literally) often gives a stronger overall image, as seen here.

Thanks for sharing this one. Come by anytime!

Randy

Jim Crosswell
01-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Great image Andrew! We had the same conditions here on Sunday and this image captures that wind/cold feel perfectly. This would be hanging on my wall if it was mine.

Andrew McLachlan
01-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Thank-you very much to all for the very kind words, they are much appreciated.