PDA

View Full Version : A different Better Beamer with Canon question - I think

Cal Walters
01-19-2014, 12:44 PM
I have been reading through many of the Better Beamer set-up and use questions - which have been very helpful in getting me going with mine. I've finally gotten up the gumption to go out and experiment - and had a few birds that cooperated in an in-field situation. Here is what I am hoping to solve for.

I am shooting with a Canon 7D with a 580 EXII - on a tripod. I have it set up for manual shooting at this point - although I usually shoot AV priority when I have shot without the flash. If I am shifting between setup shots - say one 20 feet away and the shifting to one 60 feet away (because the birds don't just stay in one place) is there an optimal camera body and flash set up that can allow me to quickly dial in flash compensation changes. So to move quickly from say -1 2/3 to a +1/3 because the target situation has changes. I have the body set up so that the back and finger dials adjust f-stop and shutter speed quickly - but I find I have to press the Q button - activate the right flash compensation cell and then re-set the focus. My guess is - there is an easier way.

Doug Brown
01-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Here's a page lifted from the 7D manual on how to adjust FEC.