01-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Canon 100-400 @ 400 mm
ISO 400
F 5.6
1/250

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi Ben, what's the camera body?

I like the look to camera and these guys do have character & presence. I also like the warm tone to the overall image. Not sure where the FP was, but either you needed more DOF so the nose is sharp too, or the FP is further back, or it's rear focusing as the mane looks sharper and has more detail than slap bang in the forehead? Personally I feel eyes to nose needed to be sharp with something like this, plus a bit more SS. Adding a Curves & Selective colour in the 'blacks' really pulls it up and creates more depth & contrast.

The sharpening halo on the lower right horn, needs a little attention, as viewed.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi Ben - I like the comp with the oof body of another buff as the bg and also the rich tones. First thing I also noticed was that the mane looks sharper than the face/nose. Good call by Steve on the halo.

TFS,
Rachel

BenBotha
01-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. I totally missed the halo-quite obvious after the comments. The FP-I have several photos of the cow-all of them the middle of the face appears less sharp than the horns and nose. Ill check to see where the focussing point was.
Ben

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi Ben, a very nice portrait, great eye contact and I like the colour tones. Nice and sharp but I agree with Steve on the halo.

BenBotha
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
I checked the original.
1. Focus point right between the eyes
2. The halo under the R horn is present even in the original raw file, it was accentuated by the sharpening.

Ben

edwardselfe
01-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Hi Ben,

Think you could still add a little selective sharpening to the face and nose and probably reduce the impression of back-focus. Like the colours and tones - much softer than most buffalo images.

Ed