PDA

View Full Version : Latourell Falls, Oregon

Terry Johnson
01-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Hello, I made a 20X30 poster of Latourell Falls, located in the Columbia Gorge is western Oregon. An overcast day with flat light.

Image data:

Nikon D7000
F-9
1/25 of a second
Handheld
35 mm
ISO-100
no-flash

Thanks for viewing...Terry Johnson

Dvir Barkay
01-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Really like this one, the blur is good on the water and the surrounding foliage is helps frame the falls well. Maybe a bit more sharpness could help?

Andrew McLachlan
01-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Nice work Terry...I may add just a touch of midtone contrast to the image and I am wondering if you could have taken two steps to your left so that the tree branch near the lower portion of the cascade was not merging with the cascade?

Terry Johnson
01-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Dver and Andrew, thanks for your suggestions. Dver, the image is pretty sharp, however, it doesn't show in the smaller image. Andrew, when you suggest the midtone contrast, how would you normally do this. The two steps to the left could have occurred, however, I didn't see the possibility at the time.

Thanks again guys...Terry Johnson

Andrew McLachlan
01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Hi Terry, check out the Sticky by Robert Amoruso on Image Contrast and Tonal Range at the top of the Landscape Forum...a quick and dirty way can also be done by adding a Curves layer and in the drop down box select either "Linear," "Medium," or "Strong" depending on the image's needs...do keep in mind that you can then also reduce the opacity of the curves layer to taste.

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I like how you framed the falls with foliage, Terry. I agree with Andrew's suggestions to take up the midtone contrast a touch...you can also use the shadow/highlights tool for this (making no adjustments to shadows or highlights but adjusting the midtone contrast slider at the bottom of the advanced panel), or use Nik's Color Efex Tonal Contrast.