PDA

View Full Version : One of Many

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Just one of my conceptual shots from the Masai Mara this year. Probably something that's been done before, but I wanted to have my own chance at this. Waited for the right moment, of course...:t3

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 | 1/640 SS | ISO-1400

John Robinson
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Certainly worked anyway. maybe tone down the small darkerares left and right ? No big deal
Like it and I don,t normally go for this sort of stuff.
John

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi Morkel - I like this. The toning looks good. I find the darker oof area at the bottom of the frame distracts a bit. There's also a rectangular oof area (blade of grass?) in the middle about a third of the way up that I would get rid of since this is more of a fine art shot. In an ideal world there would be no grassy areas, the image would be completely filled with wildes. Your experiments have certainly been paying off. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
Rachel

BenBotha
01-19-2014, 07:34 AM
I like the mood and isolation of the one subject by the sea of OOF bodies. The two darker bodies in front and at the back of of the one looking up,pull my eyes away. The slightly darker body at the l bottom the frame is also distracting.

Ben

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi Morkel, I can see where you are going on this, having this lone WB in the sea of bodies, and using the tonal strength of the head up one to make the concept. balancing out the FG & RHS ones some 'tonally they all have the same sort of balance helps and as Ben says, the eye then isn't so drawn. Personally dropping the darker ones and upping the mid ones goes towards addressing that. The grass is not ideal, but nothing you can do. If you want more of this, go to Duba. :w3

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
01-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Works for me, Morkel! One darkish body on the RHS (just neck) a tad distracting for me, otherwise a lovely and very original shot I enjoyed viewing:w3

I guess I missed some of your posts (and other members' posts too), these days I just manage to take a quick look at the latest images when I get a chance, will start posting again towards the end of February:w3 Just cannot stay away though, love to browse and see what's new on BPN, nice to see you're constantly experimenting Morkel:5, great work!

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Awesome image Morkel, I just wish for a tad more room above. The WB nicely stands out from the crowd and I like the PP and tonality of the image.

Martin Dunn
01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Not to my taste I'm afraid Morkel.
The darker bodies to right and left don't bother me but the mass of blurred bodies in the foreground is too much for me. Sorry sir. A rare dislike.

Dvir Barkay
01-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Really nice one, the Gnu sticks out very nicely. Maybe darken through burn/dodge the bright gnu's to make that one stand out better.

Anette Mossbacher
01-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi Morkel,

works for me too. Rachel raised some points I agree with. The outer part of the image is in some areas to dark for me. But that is up to every bodies taste, of course.
Very nice image.

Have a nice eve

Caio
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback guys and gals.
I agree, the darker tones at the edges are distracting to me too upon looking again...will rework this one!

Andreas Liedmann
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi Morkel,
besides the little issues mentioned, in which i agree, i really like this.
Good thinking in the field and well done in PP.
Congrats on the creative shot.
TFS Andreas