PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Orchid

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Took this down in S Florida. I bought the plant so I was able to prune it :w3 as required. Taken outside with sunlight as backlight, twin lights at -1 for lighting the shadow side, green foliage print for BG, silver reflector and LED video light for additional lighting. Sigma 150mm macro lens at f/22 for 1/100th sec. and ISO 800 hand held.

John Robinson
01-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Nice one. Like the backlit effect especially with it being a dark variety. I grow quite a few of thes and are one of my favourites. As you know I like black backs too.
Cheers
John

David Kenny
01-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Roman,

I really like the backlit look on this and how the orchid is not in full bloom yet. The background compliments the flowers nicely. Very Sharp. Duke Estates (NJ) off route 206 near the Somerville circle has and outstanding collection of these in a greenhouse. Its a very cool place to check out but they do keep the humidity level very high.

- Dave

Jonathan Ashton
01-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Roman you went to all that trouble and yet you didn't use a tripod?? I would have used the tripod and set at ISO 100, but we all have our preferences. Having said that it looks well focused and sharp, the lighting and DOF are good as are the flower colours. I am just a little hesitant about the background as you may know I am not consistently for or against dark backgrounds, in this case I think I would prefer a brighter one but having said that I think this is a fine image.

Steve Maxson
01-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi Roman. Beautiful! I like the curving comp of the flowers and the excellent sharpness. The backlighting looks great and your use of flash, LED, and reflector makes the overall lighting look totally natural. The dark green (not black) background gives the image more of a "natural" and less of a studio look - which I like. An outstanding image!

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Hey Roman, nice to see you diversifying, long time no speak.:w3

I agree with Steve, nice comp (as expected) and the rich dark BKG really makes the subject really 'pop', especially with the vibrant magenta/pink of the petals. Not sure if it was planned, but having a slight vignette to the BKG adds interest and creates a more natural look & feel compare to a stark dark/black backdrop. I also like the 'grittiness' within the subject as it brings another dimension to the image.

Nice one Roman.

TFS
Steve