PDA

View Full Version : Stump Art

Mike Moats
05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I found this interesting stump but thought it needed some help with a little color. Wasn't having any luck shooting the marsh marigolds because of the wind, so decided the stump would hold them steady.

Fuji S3 Pro, Sigma 180 macro Tripod, F32

Robert O'Toole
05-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Really like the comp, and the details and sharpness are great of course. The lighting is just about perfect for me.

Good work Mike!

Robert

Ed Vatza
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
First off, I like the stump better than the swamp oil from the earlier image. ;):) It may have something to do with the greater depth here with the stump. The marigolds add just the right amount of color to the image. I like it. It also provides some inspiration. I was looking at a couple of stumps over the weekend but could find a way to make it interesting enough. Adding color like this could just do it.

Very nice, Mike.

John Cooper
05-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Mike - Love the texture shown here in this gnarled stump, and the marigolds add a soft contrast to the composition!!

Julie Kenward
05-13-2008, 08:08 AM
It's a beautifully textural image. My one little nitpick (me nitpicking Mike Moats...what a hoot) is that my eye goes to the URC where the wood is a lighter color. Maybe tone that down just a smidge? That yellow marigold sure stands out against the grain of that lovely piece of wood.

Alfred Forns
05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Beautiful Mike !!!! Now you are a Stump Artist !!!!! Neat !!!