PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear

Rachel Hollander
01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I haven't posted a polar bear in a little while. Taken in August in the pack ice above Svalbard, Norway. This was just before midnight.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2xIII
1/2500
f6.3
ISO 1600
Monopod from moving boat, cropped for comp, luminosity masks, levels, curves, selective color and hue/saturation adjustments mostly trying to lessen the effect of the blue line in the bg ice, NR on bg, sharpened.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-17-2014, 01:48 AM
Exquisite image Rachel. I love the exposure, the detail on the bear and the environment a lot.

Steve Kaluski
01-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Hi Rachel, the blue in the background for me, adds to the environment, to what degree of blue you have is personal preference, adjusting the Cyan & Blue with the HSL sliders can make a difference if you felt the need. Typical stance, just sitting and watching, ever curious to the new sounds and inquisitive smells. I know you are tired of it, but personally I would have flipped it R to L. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Neil Burton
01-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Works for me just as it is, will hopefully get up that far one day. :)

peter delaney
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi Rachel

Lovely sighting of polar bear in environment , I find the monochrome middle of image detracting from the subject as the viewers eye goes from color to mono back to color again.

TFS

Peter

Rachel Hollander
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks all. I'm glad you like this one. Steve - you know I won't flip it :w3. Peter - that's the color of the environment, at times it is somewhat monotone up there. I didn't do anything different to that area in pp.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi Rachel, perfect exposure as usual with your PB images. I see what Peter refereed to. I wish for the middle part to be your 50 shades of white instead, but for this image, this is just the environment. TFS. Loi

Gabriela Plesea
01-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Dearest Rachel,

To begin with, I particularly like the rich background in this image, and indeed my eyes are wondering from the subject to the BG but that's because the environment is just as interesting as the bear itself:w3 Well exposed and I like the pose, this alert and curious chap must have stopped whatever he was doing to have a good look at you:bg3: :w3

Another great image of a polar bear, keep them coming Rachel, I have been watching some documentaries on these guys lately and learnt a bit more about their behaviour-very interesting. I think about your images every time I see a program about these bears...

Warmest regards,

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Classic frame - lovely pose, soft "midnight" :Whoa!: light, and the tinge of blue in the ice around it.
I see what Peter is saying re the middle - if it was like that then there's not much to do, thought that if there was a hint of blue there you could boost it...:e3

Stu Bowie
01-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Hi Rachel, I never get tired of your polar bear images from your trip, and this one is no exception. Great detail in the fur, love the casual pose and eye contact, and Im fine with BG as is. I feel the blue in the distant BG is a nice touch.

Rachel Hollander
01-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks Loi, Gabriela, Morkel and Stu. I very much appreciate the comments.

Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Hi Rachel,

very nice image of the pb, agree with flipping what Peter mentioned. About the monochrome, I was wondering too a bit that the water does not have the usual dark blue color, which I have sometimes a battle with. :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Ashleigh Scully
01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
THat is beautiful, Rachel I love the environment, too. Amazing capture, congratulations :)