PDA

View Full Version : Northern Bobwhite.

Daniel Cadieux
01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
This female Northern Bobwhite is perhaps an escapee, if not then it is an ultra rare species for our parts as it would be way out of its normal range up here. Although on the tame side of things it is very alert and very nimble and flighty / agile when needed. I chose this frame out of a couple other similar ones as I like the wind-blown feathers.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, full-frame, car used as blind.

Alan Murphy
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Nice to see one in snow. Great detail and comp.

Bob Pelkey
01-15-2014, 08:11 PM
I have heard the call of Northern Bobwhite throughout my lifetime, but hadn't seen one until this past year. Once near the entrance to Everglades National Park (when photographable), and then at Dinner Island Ranch where a flock of more than a half dozen were flushed driving through the venue.

Your analysis that the bird may not be completely wild is interesting considering the species' typical seclusion, Daniel. Don't overlook that David Sibley is offering his first revision of his guide to birds very soon which will particularly include new ranges for many bird species.

The wind blown feathers of the bobwhite would have been lost had you backed up the car to get the better head angle. A gorgeous image of the species.

Ashley Cohen
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Wonderful looking bird, great image, the snow makes for a different image and one that makes the bird stand out.

Enrique Patino
01-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Great Portrait, nice colors and detail. You certainly are making the best of the snow.... TFS

keith mitchell
01-16-2014, 03:27 AM
Daniel a great portrait and interesting reading, I too like the wind blown feathers.

Keith.

arash_hazeghi
01-16-2014, 04:04 AM
Oh man this is gorgeous those colors stand out against the white

christopher galeski
01-16-2014, 06:11 AM
very nice capture,love the light can not beat snow,good colors and detail,have a pair of these in a case(preserved),bought at a antique shop.TFS.

Marina Scarr
01-16-2014, 09:11 AM
This bird really stands out against the snow, and I agree on the flowing feathers. Super angle and it's nice to see an up close image. Not usually easy to get.

Shawn Zierman
01-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Northern Bobwhites are pretty much extripated in Minnesota now. Escapees from game farms or hobby farms occur from time to time. This is a very nice up close portrait of the bird. I don't ever recall seeing one photographed against a snowy surrounding like this, and it looks awesome!

Jim Crosswell
01-16-2014, 12:19 PM
I like the feather patterns, details, sharpness, exposure and composition. Excellent image Daniel!