PDA

View Full Version : oak leaves suspended

Dennis Bishop
01-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't know why, but transitions appeal to me. For instance, I prefer the look of leaves when they're starting to change color in the Fall instead of when they've reached their peak. I've had thoughts about doing a transitions photographic project. Every year when the oak leaves start to drop, there are some that don't make it to the ground. They start their journey in late Fall or early Winter but are still lingering there when the others have descended all the way and are under a blanket of snow. These were photographed in mid-February of 2012. (The original image, probably done soon after that, represented an earlier season in my image-processing development, and it was time for it to be replaced.)

Nikon D2X, eight exposure HDR at 1 EV intervals, f/20, ISO 640, zoom at 240 mm

processing

cropped for composition
Topaz Simplify -- Watercolor II
Alien Skin Snap Art -- Instead of the preset I'd put together a month or so ago, I decided to move the sliders and come up with a radically different one, also based on their Watercolor preset but which would give the looser diffused effect I like so much in watercolors when it became part of the image. On its layer, it was large blobs of color, but I liked what happened when it was applied in Overlay blend mode at reduced opacity.
Alien Skin Bokeh -- a heavy dose of the plug-in effect but at reduced opacity, freehand masked off the leaves with substantial feathering
Photo Filter adjustment layer -- Warming 81, masked with reduced opacity beyond the leaves
six black & white layers -- all at reduced opacities, two Fractalius at Multiply blend mode; two masked layers, each, of Snap Art Stylize Line Art and Simplify edges at Multiply and Divide blend modes (inverse masks)
gradient vignette

Cheryl Slechta
01-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Dennis, I think it's a great idea for a project. I agree - there's something subtle about transitioning vegetation that I think is more interesting. My favorite component of this image is the dreamy pastel look that you've gotten for the background. I'm hoping you follow up on the project:S3:

Dennis Bishop
01-16-2014, 11:07 AM
. . . My favorite component of this image is the dreamy pastel look that you've gotten for the background. . . .

Thanks for your comments, Cheryl. The background was borne somewhat out of design but, to a great extent, by necessity. The colors are largely from my newly-saved Snap Art preset. However, the softness is from the Bokeh treatment, which was added to do something about all those branches. Here's how it looked when it came out of HDR tone-mapping.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
I find this quite appealing Dennis. The leaves organically fit into the image and become part of nature's web. Literally and figuratively. I was going to suggest a boost in vibrance, but I don't think that fits the theme of decay here.

Anita Bower
01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Oh my gosh. I missed this one.
Beautiful. I especially like seeing the transformation from the original image. Amazing work. Who would have thought those fallen leaves could be so beautiful. I'm amazed. You did a great job in making the leaves the center of attention. Beautiful colors. I think I'd like to see the lower right corner a bit darker to match the rest of the background. What do you think? A minor thing.