PDA

View Full Version : The Gorge Froze….

dankearl
01-15-2014, 01:51 AM
A few weeks ago the Columbia Gorge experienced several days of temps in the teens which
happens every few years. This is the result, the hundred or so waterfalls freeze up in the Pacific NW.
This is Horsetail Falls, one of the big ones….

16mm, f11, 1/2 sec., iso100, D800

002_1627bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=136725&stc=1&d=1389768600)

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi Dan - interesting to see. The comp works for me and I like the inclusion of the pool. It feels a bit dark which may have been what you were going for but if it were mine I would open up the midtones a bit. I would also reduce the heavy cyan and blue casts.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
01-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Wow this looks magical! Just as a suggestion:try removing the color from th green leaves.

peter delaney
01-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi Dan
Interesting scene ,must have been a wonderful to view…

The composition is a bit busy for my taste. I find my eye wandering thru out the image. I agree about the blue cast (but I know Nikons D800 tends to be biased towards blue cast)
I really would have like a lower perspective but not certain if that would have possible.

TFS

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I like it Dan - the iced foreground and water and swirl keep enough of my attention. I would reduce the blue cast in areas except for in the ice/water, perhaps boost saturation in the latent yellows and reds in the rest of the landscape?

Don Lacy
01-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi Dan, Here is a quick and dirty color correction using the eye droppers in the curve adjustment. It's a beautiful scene that I think I would have shot just a little bit tighter to emphasize the falls also did you shot any verticals.

Dvir Barkay
01-18-2014, 05:42 PM
The fall is beautiful, as is the icy pool below. This could actually work as a vertical if there was a bit more room at the top. I agree with the others that there is a redish cast on the plants, maybe its blue. I would go with curves set to color mode and set the dark selector and find the darkest spot in image and click on it, that often helps remove any bad cast, but you have to play around with it a bit.

Andrew McLachlan
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Hi Dan, frozen waterfalls do make for great subjects...some great advice mentioned already and I do agree on the cyan cast, I notice the same type of color casts with my D800. I could see a nice tight vertical comp of just the cascading water and icy surroundings...did you create any such images of this scene? Would love to see them if you did.

Diane Miller
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
If you're using LR / ACR, the color peculiarities often attributed to different cameras may actually be more the fault of the Adobe Standard default camera profile (in the Camera Calibration tab). You will find other profiles there, specific to the camera model, which may be better for a given shot. Of course, white balance / tint is also a factor.

Or the X-Rite color checker is designed to give a custom profile and white balance for the lighting encountered. It's easy to use, but the main advantage over the profiles provided in LR / ACR, and the temp / tint adjustments, is for mixed lighting.