PDA

View Full Version : Ostrich Portrait

Loi Nguyen
01-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Taken last Summer in Kenya. These are just funny looking birds that we see a lot on our trip. They were a bit shy and tended to run away when they saw our safari vehicle, except for this bird.

1DX
500f4 II
1/640
f8
ISO-400
Handheld

Added a little bit of sky on the top. Cropped from horizontal.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Stu Bowie
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi Loi, love the awkward pose, captured in nice light. You have brought out the feather detail on this female nicely. I like your comp as is, but would work just as well in landscape format. :w3

Shawn Zierman
01-15-2014, 09:40 AM
I enjoy the composition. The bird feels big in the frame, but in the correct way, as it is the largest bird anyway. Looks like a few little flies in front of the bird. I enjoy details like that as well. You did a nice job with the post processing on top, I see no evidence of canvas extension. Really good head angle to offset the body being angled away.

John Robinson
01-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Good one ! Excelent job on the canvas too. Another example of how something in the backdrop can make or break a shot. ! You won't get a much bigger bird subject I suppose!!!
Cheers
John

Jim Crosswell
01-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I like the different pose, composition, light, exposure and details. Good view of the feet. Well done Loi!

Neil Burton
01-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Great colours, contrast and bags of detail with a great backdrop. Nice one!

Loi Nguyen
01-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you everyone. Glad you like it. I had this shot from last Summer, but until I decided to add a sliver of canvas on the top, the composition just wasn't right. Like Johnny said, something in the backdrop could make or break an image. Cheers. Loi

keith mitchell
01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Loi these are amazing birds you have some great feather detail, the feet look enormous no wonder they can move like they do, I like your shot.

Keith.