PDA

View Full Version : Mute Swan

Bob Pelkey
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Canon 1DM4, 600mm, 1/2000, ISO 1250, f/7.1, AP, tripod, moderate crop, brightened, recovery, fill light, two rounds of Smart Sharpen, outlined bird with lasso tool (inversed) and applied NR.

On the morning of 8 January 2014, Frank Constantin and I traveled from Sarasota's Celery Fields to Myakka River State Park. On the way, we encountered this feral Mute Swan in a large pond in front of a residential subdivision. After twenty-two minutes of observation of the swan, it rewarded us with outstretched wings. The swan was in the immediate company of three Northern Shovelers. An immature Bald Eagle at one point flew low and nearly directly over us.

Earlier at Celery Fields I had one of my most remarkable wildlife observations with the theft of an American Coot from a mature Bald Eagle by a third or fourth year Bald Eagle. Myakka River SP offers large black snakes in its tall grass. : (

It remained very overcast this day, though eventually warmed up somewhat from uncomfortably cold temperatures at sunrise.

Regards,

Bob Pelkey
http:www.swfloridabirder.blogspot.com (http://www.swfloridabirder.blogspot.com)

vishaljadhav
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Lovely pose captured , the IQ looks good sand the exposure looks nice on the underwing
I like the composition too. with the over cast condition the colour of the water is understandable .

Jim Crosswell
01-14-2014, 02:02 PM
I like the raised tail, curved neck, HA and details. I would add a little in front of the swan if you have it. Nice image of an overlooked subject. In the spring on the lake where I live there can well over a couple of hundred near the house.

John Rowell
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
This wings open pose is really nice. With the bird elevated in the water it adds a lot of grace to a nicely finished image. Agree with Jim that I'd add a tad to the front if you can. Nice job.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Excellent pose and exposure. I could see a slight taken off the bottom and added to the top, but no biggie. Details are excellent, my only wish is for a catchlight; but certainly a fine image as is.

Daniel Cadieux
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Beautiful and graceful subject. Whites look good and I like it against the grey water. I wouldn't mind a bit more canvas a top and right, and I would enhance the faint reflection in the eye at least for web presentation. Sounds like you had a memorable day from the sounds of it!