PDA

View Full Version : Overcast Miami Night Skyline

andresleon
01-14-2014, 12:56 AM
An evening checking out the Miami skyline yields interesting results.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
f/16
80 sec
ISO 50
70mm with a 24-70mm Lens

Using Lightroom 5, adjusted colors, cropped slightly to remove extra buildings and straighten horizon. Used Nik software to enhance colors and clean noise.

David Stephens
01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I would have never thought of an 80-sec exposure, but given the cloudy sky, it really works well. There's a nice smoothing effect to the both the water and sky. It emphasizes the reflections in the water and sky also. I'm surprised not to see the red streaks of cars' taillights on that bridge, so you had a unique perspective to avoid that.

I like this. It's a great promotional piece or wall hanger, despite not being true to what the eye sees. (I see nothing wrong with interpreting a scene using our cameras' ability to see things that our eyes can't).

dankearl
01-14-2014, 09:20 PM
It is a pretty photo, I would not have thought of it as Miami.
The colors and soft effect is very nice although to me the city lights and buildings would be sharper, the long exposure should not have effected them.
Attractive….

Don Railton
01-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Hello Andres

I like this too...Lots of soft colour and would look good big and on the wall in the right setting. I do agree with Dan in that I would want and would expect to see the buildings sharper.. Is the RAW sharp before your application of NR? or maybe at 80 seconds exposure there was time for a little vibration underfoot..??

regards

DON

andresleon
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi David. Yes. This point of view avoided the light streaks as the bridge has a wall that blocks them.

dankearl and Don, I was not able to stay within the 400KB size limit that the forum imposes on attached images, so I had to upload a much smaller version of the image. This *may* be the reason why the building edges and lights seem a little less sharp. My original full size image, in my opinion, seems to be a lot sharper. Take a look at http://fineartamerica.com/featured/overcast-miami-night-skyline-andres-leon.html and then zoom in to an area. Let me know what you think.

Thank you all for your comments and ideas.

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2014, 03:00 PM
The colours and silky water make for a lovely image. I was going to comment on the softness too but I clicked through to the high res and it looks sharp.
I'm pretty sure you can get a good quality file saved here at 1200px below 400kb? Very few of my files go below 80 quality these days with BPN's new size guidelines...

Don Lacy
01-17-2014, 06:53 PM
HI Andres, I really like the effect you got here with the 80s exposure from the silken clouds and water to the wonderful reflection in the water.

Andrew McLachlan
01-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi Andreas, I too love the soft water with the reflected lights and yes your image in the link is perfectly sharp...beautifully done...your favorite of mine so far :S3: