PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Screech Owl (Gray Morph)

Ashleigh Scully
01-13-2014, 06:16 PM
I tried this again today I hope you're not getting tired of these. My goal today was to try to get more sunlight and get the car centered more on the cavity.

Just as the sun was coming out a truck came by and the owl spooked down into the hole.

But I'm happy with what I got, and feel that this one is more centered and I was able to stabilize the lens more this time. I am really going to try to do something more creative next time, as long as the sun and cars let me. It's a tricky spot and makes my Dad nervous a little bit since he's driving. If I had the sun I wanted my settings would have been different but I'm OK with these.

Canon EOS 5D MIII
Canon 500mm f/4L IS II USM + 1.4xTC

Beanbag car window

ISO 1250
f/6.3
1/400s

I darkened everything but the owl, fixed the dark holes in the cavity and did a USM on the owl.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll only post another one if it's really different.

Don Railton
01-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Interesting shot Ashley.. I like the symmetry, but I long for a bit more difference between the bird and the tree.. regarding your settings, I think you are still being a bit conservative with your ISO, (I have a MK4 and use 2000, you should be able to beat that...) and I would have gone wide open. Arash has a high ISo processing technique if you really want to push it... When you are shooting in the car, does your dad turn the engine off?? Engines still vibrate at idle and this could be shaking the lens...even though you don't feel it yourself. Do a test somewhere safe (engine on vs engine off..)

regards

DON

keith mitchell
01-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Ashliegh another good shot of this bird ,I think if you made the light area in the hole a lot darker it would make the Owl stand out a lot more, This bird is certainly giving you lots of good opportunities, and I think you have some good advice from Don.Great showing the Owl in the centre.
Keith.

Shawn Zierman
01-14-2014, 04:07 AM
I think this is a very nice portrait of this handsome bird. I like the eye contact. It's plenty sharp and I'm impressed that you were able to obtain the image from a vehicle.

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2014, 07:44 AM
I like the shot Ashleigh you patience and perseverance are rewarding you. I would consider darkening the pale patch behind the owl a little. In view of less that ideal light you may wish to consider a little fill in flash??

Ashleigh Scully
01-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Thank you everyone.

I am shooting from a beanbag on a car window frame while the car is off and parked on a busy road so it's a little hard. But I have at least one minute sometimes, so I put one hand on the lens for extra and then I hold my breath and shoot in bursts of 3.

I understand the higher ISO and Ill try it next time if there's better light. Each time I go its just too shady.

I am getting different advice on the Aperture. Some say get more of the trunk in focus so I go to 6.3 or 7.1, some say open up. I think it may depend on the natural light I am getting at the time. I 'm close enough to the tree that I shouldn't need 7.1. I don't know much about fill flash but will find out.

I will keep trying. I love this bird!

Holger Leyrer
01-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Nice Image, Ashleigh. I love the eye contact and the catch light.

Marina Scarr
01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
This one is looking pretty darn good, Ashleigh!!!