PDA

View Full Version : Bouncy

edwardselfe
01-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Following on from Morkel's post of a Springbok, I thought I'd put up an impala which was stotting beautifully away from a pack of wild dogs which were hunting his mates behind him!

It was one of those perfect situations where he bounced towards us in a very regular fashion (which was easy to predict) and with evening sunshine to help the AF system!

I tried to keep the golden sunshine, but I feel it might be a bit too yellow...?

Canon 1D4, 500mm + 1.4x, 1/2000s at f5.6, ISO 800

Any comments welcome.

Thanks.

Ed

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Beautiful mid-air image in golden light Ed. great angle, pose and sharpness! Color looks nice to me.

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Hi Ed, doesn't get much better than this, spot on for me.

Great timing, a clear BKG behind the subject, but the more visible clump of grass in front. The light is gorgeous, but for me, it's the depth of detail, especially in the form of the body, which is outstanding. Nice work. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi Ed - gorgeous warm light and great timing combine for an excellent image. It all works for me on this one.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Ed ,
one piece of nice work , all coming together light……… Spot on for me.
A really small nit is the comp for me , i would like to see the full frame to get an idea what is possible without losing anything of the original character.
As Steve said the detail depth is extraordinary in the subject.

TFS and well done Andreas

Marc Mol
01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
The lighting & colour that it creates can be very subjective Ed as you know, but for me this appears spot on, great in flight pose with a fitting BG.:cheers:
TFS

Gabriela Plesea
01-13-2014, 03:26 PM
What a beauty, Edward! Great capture and framing, beautiful light, not too yellow for me, just right, it's the golden light-brilliant shot-congratulations!

Kind regards,

Loi Nguyen
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Ed, beautiful shot here in gorgeous light, perfect sharpness, clean BG. Do you have more room at the top? Feels just a tad tight for me. TFS. Loi

edwardselfe
01-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Hi guys - thanks all for very positive comments.

This was full-frame, apart from a tiny bit of rotation for levelling, and a small bit off the bottom. I then added a little bit of canvas on top (about 1cm) and about 3cm on the rhs - I perhaps should have stated this at the beginning but I wanted to see if it was noticeable, and I'm glad that it wasn't too much! I agree the composition could be better, but with him so high above the ground, it was hard to maintain the context (the ground) while still keeping him in the frame. So yes, it's a bit tight at the top, but I don't have any more!

The light was just perfect and really helped to bring out the shape of the body. Very happy with it - thanks for comments.

Ed

Morkel Erasmus
01-15-2014, 02:59 PM
No comment from me except - DANG! Lovely light, pose, timing, image quality.
It's all there. And it takes some skill to pull these off. :5

BillTyler
01-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Very nicely timed! And the use of a relatively shallow DOF has given good visual separation between the animal and the background.