PDA

View Full Version : Male Impala in habitat

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-12-2014, 10:30 PM
This male Impala was braving the light drizzle at Nakuru.
<tbody>
Camera
Canon EOS 7D (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/)

Exposure
(1/125)

Aperture
f/4.0

Focal Length
100 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
0 EV

</tbody>

Morkel Erasmus
01-13-2014, 01:30 AM
These impala rams in Kenya always impress me with the size of their horns - must be at least 1.5x bigger than our SA impalas.
I think the IQ has gone a bit awry here Sanjeev, certainly compared to your recent postings and improvement. Could be the shooting conditions (rain, poor light) but overall it just lacks crispness and detail on the subject. Colours also seem too faded on the rest of the scene, and I'm not sold on the composition. Sorry mate, but giving it to you straight up as I see it. :e3

edwardselfe
01-13-2014, 04:57 AM
Yeah - very big horns!! This is a cool concept and you did well to make sure the rain drops are visible.
Try B&W maybe?
Ed

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi Sanjeev, I'm with Morkel with his thoughts on this one. I like the landscape format as it includes more of the habitat/environment, however I wonder id going slightly tighter & portrait would have been better? Was this with the 100-400 lens, I feel more ISO to gain more DOF & SS would have been better.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Unfortunately, I too have to agree with Morkel, Ed and Steve. IQ issues aside, I too would have gone portrait on this one. There's also some magenta coming through in the bg.

Steve - this could not have been taken with the 100-400 as the widest aperture of that lens is f4.5 at the shorter end.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Sanjeev,
your 5D images are so much better , could this be a PP problem ? I think at this size we should not see such a dramatic downfall of IQ ?!

The image i think is not too bad, i really like the falling rain and the comp with landscape included .

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Steve this was with 70-200 f/4 IS. The 7D performed poorly in lower light levels and it worked well with good light and proper exposure. I myself have noticed that my 5D3 images are better, hence am contemplating selling 7D now. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Marc Mol
01-13-2014, 01:50 PM
All nits aside Sanjeev, that is one fine male!:S3:
Look at the strength & muscle around the neck, certainly in the heavy weight class.:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Ha Ha, Rachel said it was the 70-200, I just saw 100mm and thought it was the 100-400 which you like to shoot with. I know you want to sell the 7D, the big question is to think what to go for, as you will probably want something with a bit more reach and to compliment the 5D.

Gabriela Plesea
01-13-2014, 03:31 PM
A fine male indeed and a special image, Sanjeev-I would try a black and white here, see what happens? Love the BG with the rain drops, that could be enhanced further in a B/W conversion?

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi Sanjeev, just took a very quick look and just juggling with some Channels, and HSL and quite a few layer masks & % Opacities it's quite surprising how much detail there is within the original posted image. No the colour is not right, greens look a bit saturated, likewise the subject, but I do feel with a little more work you can extract a lot more from within the original capture, and obviously get the colour balance looking a lot better. l love the rain drops on the antlers.

cheers
Steve