PDA

View Full Version : Peyto Lake, Canada

Terry Johnson
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM

Hello, this image was taken in Alberta, Canada. Overcast day with sunlight coming through occasionally. The image is a three panel panorama with camera in vertical position.

Nikon D7100
ISO-140
Nikon 18-200mm at 35mm
1/125
F-11
Matrix metering
Processed in Photoshop CS6

Thanks for viewing...Terry Johnson

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Classic scene, lovely colours as well and the overcast light helped even out the details throughout, Terry.
I took a crack at this - darkening overall light tones, adding some tonal contrast and also dodging/burning the mountain cliffs. What I neglected to do, but would encourage, is cropping that wee sliver of pine tree off the LHS that's creeping in.

What do you think?

Terry Johnson
01-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Morkel, nicely done. I like the enriched color, however, I feel the contrast is a little high. I would prefer the color to be somewhere between the original and what you have proposed. I am not sure about dodging the tree. What do the others think?

Thanks for taking the time. I prefer your adjustments over my original...Terry Johnson

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Fair enough, Terry - I've never been there so I may have overdone it :5
I said "crop the tree", not "dodge the tree"? :Whoa!:

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Terry, an iconic location in Alberta for sure...I prefer Morkel's darkened more contrasty repost and do agree on cropping the little bits of tree that are visible on the left. Nicely done!

andresleon
01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Wonderful location and composition. I like the way the background mountains fade away toward the right. I think Merkel's contrast is well done, but would have done just a bit less, specially on the center right background mountains. I also agree that cropping the LHS tree edges may improve the overall image. Very nice image overall.

dankearl
01-14-2014, 09:23 PM
This is a pretty nice photo of this lake, a bit wider view would be nice.
The original is good, the repost is much better.

Don Lacy
01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
HI Terry, I like the view and sweep of the image, I prefer the tonalities in Morkel's repost but could see backing off just a tad . Oh yeah crop the tree out.

Terry Johnson
01-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Hello, Thank you all for your input. I will take your suggestions and build a re-post of the image with your suggestions included...Terry Johnson

Terry Johnson
01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Here is the revised image of Peyto Lake with some of the requested changes. I liked what Morkel did, however, I toned down his changes...Terry Johnson