PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Gull

John Rowell
01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Taken a year and a half ago at Ft. DeSoto. On my way out of the park, I saw a flock of gulls picking berries off of a tree right in front of the administration building. IQ is not that great due to a large crop. The longest lens I had was a 70-200mm so I needed to stay back to lower the shooting angle some. Still, I like this pose and would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Sharpening of the gull, NR on background and cloned out a large oof set of leaves on the right side.

Nikon D300, 200mm@F5.6, 1/3200 sec, ISO 400

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2014, 07:46 PM
I like the concept of the image as you have a pretty neat (and elegant) hovering pose, and I like the layer of vegetation below. The biggest issue is the harsh light you had to contend with. Had this opportunity taken place with early morning or late afternoon light this would have been much better. As is I think adding a catchlight in post would give the subject a bit of "life". Still well done for what you had.

Jim Crosswell
01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
I like the pose, vegetation and composition. I like Daniels idea of adding a catchlight. Bet you wish you had your 600 when you took this one. Nice image John.