PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

Joseph Przybyla
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Recently I have viewed many wonderful images of owls on this forum. Here is one of mine. It is a little owl , only about 8 inches tall. They live in burrows dug into sand embankments, using them to escape the heat of the day in Florida. This is one of many images I captured in Cape Coral, Florida. In that city most of the vacant lots are used by these owls.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm 4-506 VRII AF shot at 300mm
1/400
F8
ISO280

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
A nice portrait well composed.
The natural setting with flowers works well.
My only concern is the greens. They look unreal to me, almost "radioactive".

How did you process this image?

Joseph Przybyla
01-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Hello Henry, thank you for viewing and commenting. Looking at the image the greens do look overpowering. The background was a grassy park, green grass. The post processing was in Lightroom with only a little Vibrance added. I lowered the saturation of the green and re-posted here. Thank you for pointing out the distracting green.

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 05:24 PM
I lowered the saturation of the green and re-posted here.
That helps but perhaps it has gone a bit too far. It would be nice if the foreground and bird had a bit more saturation.
Might be a place where you could use some local adjustments in Lightroom; perhaps a graduated filter and a radial filter.
Or, you could do it more precisely in Photoshop if that is part of your workflow.

John Robinson
01-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Joseph. I,ll go along with Henry on this- somewhere in between. These are so much like our Little Owls Only seen them in Zoos over here where they seem to breed in quite small areas/aviaries. They seem to sit there all day looking at people !!
Cheers
John

Jim Crosswell
01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I like the setting, eye contact and composition. Some good suggestions above to improve this image. Nice image Joe.

Joseph Przybyla
01-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank you all for taking time to view and offer advise and suggestions. Here is the image with saturation added to the owl and the foreground. I used the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom to mask the owl and foreground and then applied saturation to those areas as looked appropriate.

Henry Domke
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you all for taking time to view and offer advise and suggestions. Here is the image with saturation added to the owl and the foreground. I used the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom to mask the owl and foreground and then applied saturation to those areas as looked appropriate.
MUCH better!