PDA

View Full Version : Drakensberg Dawn

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 01:04 PM
I haven't been out much for new landscape photography, so here's one from the archives of a trip last February to the southern Drakensberg mountain range in South Africa.

Blend of 2 exposures for dynamic range using luminosity masks.

Happy 2014 to all of you!! Good light to you all this year...:5:cheers:

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f5.6 | ISO-200

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Morkel, lovely scene overall with nice reds in the clouds...I might reduce the blue in the clouds just a touch...but that's just me. Happy New Year to you as well :S3:

andresleon
01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Hi Morkel. I'm not really sure how I feel about this image. I love the tonal range you have created, but at the same time think it may be a little too over-processed. However, what distracts me the most, in my humble opinion, is the lack of a straight horizon. I know the location will dictate what the horizon will look like, but, to me, it feels unbalanced. The background reds and oranges are terrific as they merge with the deep blue of the foreground sky, but just feel it is a little too saturated overall. Thanks.

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks Andrew & Andres
Funny you mention the saturation, Andres. I looked at it again last night and felt I overcooked it...but mostly the blue.
There just wasn't a straight horizon here, the ground in front was sloping down to the left (I was already on the mountainside) and all around was just rolling and undulating landscape.
Here's a repost toned down some...
:e3

David Stephens
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Looking out my window at the Rocky Mountains, uneven horizons don't bother me in the least, unless it's water horizon.

The saturation isn't bothering me either. I wasn't there and we get such incredible sunrises and sunsets around here that I'm often compelled to swear on a stack of Bibles that it really happened. Morkel, if you thought it was a little overcooked, then I'll take your word. It doesn't bother me as is.

dankearl
01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
It is pretty Morkel but needs a stronger FG element for me.

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys.

Dan - there was literally just grass all around haha :Whoa!:

Don Lacy
01-17-2014, 06:41 PM
HI Morkel, I really like the sweep of the clouds and the nice color of the sunset pulling the viewers eye through the frame. The foreground works for me here as it's only the lower 1/3 of the frame with the sky the dominate feature.

Andrew McLachlan
01-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Repost works better for me Morkel...nice work!