PDA

View Full Version : NorCal Harrier

arash_hazeghi
01-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I photographed this young female harrier in Half Moon Bay area last year. The harrier was flying shaded trees that created this spot light effect. Hope you like it

1DX 600II + 1.4X III f/5.6 1/3200sec ISO 800 handheld

Stu Bowie
01-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi Ari, great eye contact here, and the light on the harrier really makes her pop against the darker BG. I like the raised near wing, sharp, and the feather detail looks great.

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 08:21 AM
It is unusual to see pictures of birds in flight against an almost pure black background.
The background looks like it was selectively darkened.
Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but it looks like there may be masking artifact around the perimeter of the bird. It has a "pasted-in" appearance.
If there is mask artifact it should be easy to fix using "Refine Mask" in Photoshop.

John Rowell
01-12-2014, 09:24 AM
I love the distribution of color on this bird, spot on detail throughout and good eye contact. The background adds an air of silence and secrecy, and really accentuates the Harrier's image. Like this a lot.

shane shacaluga
01-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Wow, this looks like its been painted on a black canvas

Very nice contrast and good feather details. Like the look out of the corner of the eye

TFS

Satish Ranadive
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Excellent details, beautiful colors,wonderful eye and lovely dark BG.
Love every thing in this gorgeous image.

Regards,
Satish.

Alan Murphy
01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Someone please stop this guy!

A great study in exposure control. The bird is fantastic.

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 12:22 PM
It is unusual to see pictures of birds in flight against an almost pure black background.
The background looks like it was selectively darkened.
Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but it looks like there may be masking artifact around the perimeter of the bird. It has a "pasted-in" appearance.
If there is mask artifact it should be easy to fix using "Refine Mask" in Photoshop.

Hi Henry,

There is no mask, no artifact and no pasting or darkening here . Birds against dark BG are not unusual at all. If you look around you will find similar frames like this posted here on BPN. The key is to have the bird under direct sunlight and BG in complete shade in the evening so the difference in exposure is about 8-10 stops. I think since you only joined the site recently this is the first image of this kind you have seen?

This frame is starlight out of the camera

Thanks

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 12:42 PM
thanks everyone

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Great light, love the wing position...and the eye is very nice. On my monitor there are some subtly lighter posterized areas on the lower part of the frame...perhaps worth making those areas fully black?

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Great light, love the wing position...and the eye is very nice. On my monitor there are some subtly lighter posterized areas on the lower part of the frame...perhaps worth making those areas fully black?

where do you see them Dan?

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2014, 01:30 PM
I've outlined them here...subtle from a straight on viewing angle but worse if you look at the monitor from an angle (at least on mine)

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks Dan ! when I look on my monitors (both PC and Mac) I don't see a difference between those areas and the rest of the BG. Could be monitor differences.

Hope you're doing well

Edit: When I look at the image on my smartphone screen I see subtle tones there right were you show, so I guess it is monitor difference. Good to know, next time I'll double check on my phone too!

Richard Flack
01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Wow! Awesome image!

keith mitchell
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
That fine looking Raptor against that dark BG is superb ,sure wish I could do it.

Keith.

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
There is no mask ... This frame is starlight out of the camera
That's amazing! I've not seen birds in flight in front of an almost black background before. The lighting creates a very dramatic effect.

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 03:31 PM
That's amazing! I've not seen birds in flight in front of an almost black background before. The lighting creates a very dramatic effect.

It does create a dramatic effect, it is not an easy shot because when the bird is in the dark it is hard to see / track so you have to be ready for it when it comes out of the shade to lock focus in time.

here is another example by Jim Neiger

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87262-Out-of-the-Dark-Northern-Harrier

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
here is another example by Jim Neiger http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87262-Out-of-the-Dark-Northern-Harrier
Interesting that they are both Northern Harriers. I don't have much experience with raptors but I've read that Northern Harriers often continue to hunt after sunset. Were these shots taken right before the sun set?

How often to other raptors continue hunting after sunset?

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Interesting that they are both Northern Harriers. I don't have much experience with raptors but I've read that Northern Harriers often continue to hunt after sunset. Were these shots taken right before the sun set?

How often to other raptors continue hunting after sunset?

yes this was right before sunset.All raptors do hunt after sunset in this areas at least.

BobbyPerkins
01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Excellent flight capture as always Arash, he just pops, very well illuminated against the shadows. A fine example as is Jim Neigers link as to why manual mode is so important for flight photography against changing backgrounds. So long as the lighting on the subject doesn't change, you can obtain awesome captures such as this.

I often see many raptors hunting at or after sunset, even in the pre-dawn before sunrise such as the Cooper's Hawk or Merlin.

Allen Sklar
01-13-2014, 05:50 AM
As usual a completely satisfying image, as noted the dark bg just takes it to the top, add the eye contact and it's perfect! And hand held.....geeze!

MohsenVahedipour
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Excellent light & sharpness Arash. Perfect wing position & underwing detail.

arash_hazeghi
01-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Excellent flight capture as always Arash, he just pops, very well illuminated against the shadows. A fine example as is Jim Neigers link as to why manual mode is so important for flight photography against changing backgrounds. So long as the lighting on the subject doesn't change, you can obtain awesome captures such as this.

I often see many raptors hunting at or after sunset, even in the pre-dawn before sunrise such as the Cooper's Hawk or Merlin.

you hit the point Bob!

without manual exposure I don't think a shot like this would be possible. the camera will go for BG and the bird will turn into a giant white blub!

Holger Leyrer
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Wonderful Image. The dark BG works very well. Love pose, light and the great eye contact