PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Light Painting

David Kenny
01-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I took this after dinner tonight. I used an LED flashlight to "paint" a sunflower that was in a bouquet I had given my wife. Every once in a while I get these "Ideas". In post I used the sepia black and white preset, added vignette and used the clarify slide in LR. I always liked the results of light painting certain flowers. Used Canon 7D and Sigma 17-70 C ISO 100 f22 for 8 seconds and tripod.

-Dave

Mitch Haimov
01-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Nicely done, Dave. I like the texture in the sepals and all but the brightest petals (which seem to be lacking detail). Angled comp works well, tho a little tight for my taste.

John Robinson
01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Interesting close up . It reminds me of one of those bedside led reading lights !!
Cheers
JohnR

David Kenny
01-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about toning down the bright petals in the middle to bring back some detail. Thanks for to comments.
-dave

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I like the image, I think exposure is fine, I agree the very brightest parts lack a little detail, have to admit I saw previous comments as I scrolled down- tried not to, but I agree a tad tight from a composition point of view. I would be curious to see this in colour vs monochrome

David Kenny
01-12-2014, 06:00 PM
This is the image uncropped with the original white balance. I also tuned down the bright petals a little to retain detail. Let me know what you think. Adding canvas to this would not be an issue since its dark.

- Dave

Hazel Grant
01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
my first thought re comp was "tight" and then I scrolled down and saw others agreed with me. re the original....I know some people who would like these colors in their homes...very modern.

Jonathan Ashton
01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Love the colour version, I presume the led produced the blue colouration?

David Kenny
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Jonathan,

Yes, you are correct the LEDs gave it the blue color.

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi David,

Great advice above regarding the brightest area. I like both versions and in the B&W just add a bit of room as suggested and tone it down (as you did in the color version). In the color version, just tone down the blue from the LED and that would work for me as well.

David Kenny
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all your input on this image.

Dave

Steve Maxson
01-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi David. I like both versions (normally I prefer color, but that is just personal preference). I actually like the bright portions of the B&W version - those areas are not totally lacking in detail and the brightness draws my eye to the center of the flower. If this was mine, I would clone or tone down the vague stem in the background on the left side such that it was not visible - a minor point and an easy fix. The blues in the color version are intriguing and I like them, but if you are going for a "natural" look, you might want to tone them down as Roman suggested. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Randall Farhy
02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Both versions are wonderful. The color, wow-such a nice range and balance, strong composition with the under glow really setting it off. The B&W is just as interesting in it's own way.-As someone already mentioned, it takes on the look of a lamp or night light, I think the not quite blown highlights work well for that illusion.