PDA

View Full Version : I like Lichen!

Henry Domke
01-11-2014, 04:49 PM
This is my first post on the "Macro and Flora" forum. I've been hanging out on the Avian forum but I thought I'd take a look here.

This morning when I was taking a walk I noticed that the wind had knocked a board off the side of our barn. When I went to pick it up I saw that the 100-year old White Oak was covered with lichen. I had to get my camera and take a closer look.

I've always loved the patterns and textures of crustose lichens. They remind me of the paintings of Jackson Pollock.

Any comments or suggestions on how to improve are welcome!

Canon 5D3 180 3.5L Macro f/22 1.3 sec ISO 200 Tripod used
Processed with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC

John Robinson
01-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Henry
Great colouron the ones in the centre and I like the little dark filaments spreading out from the middle right centre area.
(I feel like a 100 year old covered in lichen sometimes !!
Cheers
John

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Henry good to see you here in macro forum! You have everything very well exposed and in sharp focus. I find subjects like this very difficult to compose, in this particular case I find my eyes are constantly roving around the image, I think you have the magnification about right but for me the image is a little busy. I am afraid I am not the world's best at composition but I think the broad band at the bottom is a little distracting.

Henry Domke
01-12-2014, 09:20 AM
I find subjects like this very difficult to compose, in this particular case I find my eyes are constantly roving around the image
I agree. It is an "all over" composition without a dominant subject. That does present a challenge.

Mitch Haimov
01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Interesting subject, well exposed, textures work well, but without a center of interest my eyes wander around a bit then wander off the frame. Perhaps a small, contrasting object (berry, insect, small cone, etc) near a ROT position would help anchor the image?

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Very good advice about a focal point.....that takes some practice to look and think... but VG sharpness and color.

Valerio Tarone
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi Henry, I agree with Mitch, it lack a point of interest for the eye.

Steve Maxson
01-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi Henry. Very nice colors, exposure, and good overall sharpness. Lots of interesting shapes here, but I would agree with the others that the image would be even better if there was one focal point that really grabbed my eye. :S3: