PDA

View Full Version : Baboon baby lookout

Marc Mol
01-11-2014, 04:46 PM
One very adventurous 2 week old Yellow baby baboon, full of mischief!
That's mum guarding her closely.
The BG here is somewhat better than my previous post, even with the ever watchful mum behind. Even that pesky palm frond base is mosly obscured.:w3

D700 80-400 AF-S f/5.6 1/1600s ISO400@ 400mm. Cropped to portrait.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Loi Nguyen
01-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Marc, cute baby. Must have been fun to watch. Love the youngster feet touching Mom's hand for assurance. Unfortunately, the BG is just a bit busy, but there wasn't much you can do about it. Loi

Marc Mol
01-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Thanks Loi

Unfortunately, the BG is just a bit busy, but there wasn't much you can do about it. Loi

Compared to my previous post the BG is a lot cleaner, if anything it's the FG grass/branch I couldn't do much about.:e3

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Cute pose here Marc. In an ideal world the other baboon in the BG would be missing, eh :w3
Could the little one stand another slight round of sharpening?

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Hi Marc,
the major subject is really captured really well with a good pose and a cute look in the face.So far so good , but the BG is kind of not very attractive.The cut off adult is not ideal , for me.
Sorry not meaning the BG , just meaning the adult looking away and partly covered by the youngster.But i think it is difficult , not much you can do.
Some more sharpening and some tonal tweaks in the 3/4 tones in the subject will give it more pop.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
01-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi Marc - cute look at the baby, I agree with Morkel on a little more sharpening. While the bg is less cluttered than your previous post, the prominence and placement of the mother is equally problematic for me. Looks like you certainly got to witness some fun action with this baboon troop.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi Marc, the BKG as stated, is busy and cluttered which is distracting and a real shame, but that's life. I don't feel the clarity/detail is as good as the pervious one and to me it looks, or has the appearance of a large crop, lacking the definition, but with the DOF & SS things should be a lot crisper overall.

These little characters are full of mischief and cheeky, providing an excellent source for images which hopefully will unfold over the next few days or weeks.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks Steve

This was a simple crop to portrait so not too large, you'll notice both the tree bark and mum have good detail whereas the baby has much softer & finer hair
which seems to exhibit less detail indicative of this image, perhaps another round of USM on the baby might be warranted.

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi Marc, just checked back and obviously being in the series the techs are the same, so no change there. It's probably the laptop, may review again tomorrow on the big screens, it almost has that feeling of when you lighten an image and it looses depth & detail, but as you say probably, it's the fine hair and softer features.

Just wonder about dropping the exp by a fraction i.e. -0.20, applying a % luminosity and adding some more USM could perhaps work, but it's a hunch? :e3