PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeter Swans

Ashleigh Scully
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post this one. This was taken in a thermal pool by the National Elk Refuge in the Fish Hatchery. There was a lot of mist from the heated water so I liked that effect but I'm not sure if it works. I just like the way they are setup with the curves of their necks. I think it's a mother and her cygnet.

Canon EOS 5D MIII
Canon 500mm f/4L IS II USM + 1.4x TC

Manual Exposure

ISO 400
f/5.6
1/1000s (waiting for them to take off)

Shot from a beanbag car window setup.

I cropped this pretty tight because there's an island just off the image to the right. About 20% was cropped out.

Pls let me know what you think, Ashleigh

Jonathan Ashton
01-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I like the composition and the exposure and the mist, my first reaction was shame about the missing head - but if it was there I don't think you would have had such attractive symmetry so it gets a yes from me.
The only reservation I have - please don't take this to heart, it is your image and choice - but I am not at all keen on the prancing wolf or coyote - I would suggest something a little more discrete.

Ashleigh Scully
01-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Hi thank you. It's a mousing fox and I guess it's distracting on my photos. Thank you for your feedback.

Sandy Witvoet
01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi Ashleigh,
Other than Loons, Trumpeters are close to my favorite birds! Your exposure on the parent is excellent... neck and body are very clear and distinguishable... it's good that the Cygnet is slightly OOF...so the head not showing is ok....and quite precious. The symmetry of the necks here is wonderful. Would have liked to have seen a tad more detail around the parent's eye/upper bill. Being really big birds, if you can provide some extra room (especially to the left and below) that may be nice. However, since there is no room for "virtual legs/feet" or reflection here, what do you think about a "portrait" type of framing? (BTW, I really admire your work... thanks for sharing it with us!) And, as long as Jonathan mentioned it, I would lose the fox too... your copyright sig is beautiful and best!) Keep 'em coming!

John Rowell
01-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Great composition, it's all about the symmetry here. Nice detail on the front swan and I'm fine with the tight crop. The mist leaves the image a bit flat, my preference would be a slight curve on the whites to bring the contrast up a bit and maybe a bit more saturation as well.

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Ashleigh, good detail and I see you now have the right embedded colour profile.

If you add a Luminosity adjustment layer, then a Curves adjustment, and open the dark bill/eye it will really take shape. Although I wonder about seeing the cygnets head, I quite like the echoed symmetry.

TFS
Steve

Ashleigh Scully
01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Thank you everyone Ill try your suggestions!

keith mitchell
01-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Ashleigh not sure if I can make up my mind about the Cygnet it does draw my eye a little bit ,you sure have made a great job of the whites on the main subject and finished with a nice artistic image.

Keith.:S3: