PDA

View Full Version : Spoonbills

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
This is a photo from the last weekend, the first shooting day with my new beloved Sigma 300-800mm :)

The spoonbills suspiciously stared at me, but the respectable ~ 25m allowed me to take several photos before they leave the place.

Mark II n, Sigma 300-800mm at 700mm, ISO 160, f/8, 1/800, -1/3 (the lens layed on the car's front door frame).

Brutus Ostling
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I havn't succeded more than a few times with the spoonbill. They are hard to approach, which is nearly an understatement. This is a very nice shot, had they turned their heads not blocking each other or something like that, well I know we can't beg for anything which didn't happen. Congratulations.

Fabs Forns
05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow, some good looking birds! Shame on the one merging with the one behind, the rest is very nice, love the habitat and light.

Maxis Gamez
05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Hello,

What a lovely looking birds.... The composition works for me very well, but I'm having problems with the Spoonbill merging with each other. The BG is a little busy but nothing to worry about.

Steve Canuel
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Congratulations on your new lens. Not only will it allow you to get closer, you'll be getting some exercise while you use it :). These are nice looking birds. I like the staggered, sloping pose and the colors. The dark spot in the BG is ditracting only because it seems to come to a point right at the top of the two birds' heads.
Steve

Robert O'Toole
05-12-2008, 08:42 PM
The diagional comp is great and the habitat around the birds looks great too.

Agree with the merging comments, although I dont mind it so much.

Is this breeding plummage Nikolay, with the orange and the crest?

Robert

Lance Peters
05-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Great lens - with the spoonies get your self a sigma 2X tele converter - you will loose auto focus, but it is still a awesome combination. Loose very little in image quality or sharpness. I love mine it allows me to shoot spoonies without even being on the same side of the river as them.

Beautiful birds - BTW.

Lance

Juan Aragonés
05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Two weeks ago I tried to photograph some of this guys but they were not very cooperative and only got some poor flights but they are so beautiful. You have a nice group here with excelent light and nice BG. Congratulations for your new toy!!

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you for the comments and suggestions :)

Robert, I think they are in a breeding plummage but not sure ... :o

Lance, you throw me in thoughts - 2x with a small loss of quality? I will try just for the sake of the test, but do not think I will ever more use conv, because I have a 40D as a second body - when I need extra reach, i simply put the 40D, with its 10 megapixels and 1. crop factor works like a 1.4 conv on the mark with still better quality.

:)

Lance Peters
05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi Nikolay - the 2 X on the sigma gives you 1600mm - if yours is anything like mine I am sure you will be amazed at this combo, it really is stunning.

Lance