PDA

View Full Version : Birding with 24-105

Eric Patdu
01-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Took this photo of a Spotted Thick-knee at the zoo. Not sure if captive birds appeal to you but I've read that it's ok to post them as long as it's disclose. Plus, I believe the image itself a dead give away. :bg3:

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments on how I can improve it overall. That way I can go back to the zoo and take photos of other interesting birds and animals armed with the suggestions and additional knowledge I got from you.

Shooting Info: Canon 70D + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, 1/125 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100
Editing Info: I cloned out some debris to clean up the area around the bird but decided to leave the small ones. Adjusted levels and applied sharpening
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/11679568595_8298fcc0fb_b_d.jpg

arash_hazeghi
01-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Hi Eric,
yes, it is OK to post images of captive birds as long as you disclose.

This is a handsome bird but the image has a number of issues, including harsh light, busy BG/surroundings that include distracting man-made elements and rather sedated pose. It is best if you can photograph birds in their natural habitat.

good luck

Marina Scarr
01-11-2014, 09:11 AM
I really like what you've achieved here with a captive bird, Eric. It's amazing how well a zoo bird still manages to camouflage itself using what it has in its environment. You did a great job getting low, your exposure is good and you have great colors and many details. One of my problems photographing at zoos has always been harsh light because they are generally not open when the light is best, but it's a great place to capture some super images and to practice technique.

Also thank you for showing me a new bird.

Eric Patdu
01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
@arash - the light is not the best in this one. I don't have a polarizer yet but I guess I would have to buy one in order to at least tame the lights a little for conditions like this. Thanks for the comments.

@Marina - using the 70D's articulating LCD screen allowed me to bring down the camera to about the same height as the bird (I learned that from this forum :S3: ). You're right! The zoo is great place to practice techniques since the subjects are mostly still and you can try different exposures and compositions.

Appreciate your comments!

Daniel Cadieux
01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Ditto what Marina said. It can be difficult to achieve consistent results with such short focal length with animals in busy surroundings...although it did work very well here. Longer zooms such as a 70-300, 100-400, or even a 70-200 work really well in zoos as you can eliminate lots of background distraction with a longer focal length. Having said this, it could be a fun exercise for anyone used to using longer focal lengths to go try a morning or afternoon using a shorter lens!

Anyhow, the bird looks great and I like the earthy tones found throughout the image.:c3: