PDA

View Full Version : Peas in Pods

John Robinson
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
This is a reworked shot from the archives.It was in fact my first attempt at stacking.
Peas were on a black cloth at 45% going away from the camera purely to test the depth of focus I could get.
D200
ISO 100 Sigma 50mm macro
40th second at 5.6
7 images stacked in czm
Levels to enhance backdrop mainly
Slight crop.
Cheers
JohnR</SPAN>

Henry Domke
01-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Technically flawless.
The stacking worked perfectly. Great to be able to achieve f/64 without diffraction.

Black backgrounds are classic for many macro shots. Some people like them and some don't. Personally I don't like them. I find the black to be harsh and distracting. It screams "studio shot".

John Robinson
01-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Cheers Henry
Certainly is - a studio shot.
Some say like birds on a peanut feeder ! Peas stop still longer though !!
Cheers
John

Don Jacobs
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Very nice capture.

John Robinson
01-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks both. I think for studio stuff any backdrop is acceptable. White all through to black. Its never going to be a " natural image" but then- what is nowadays. ?? Think about it. People chuck fish in the water for Ospreys or whatever and thats ok . Pay 500 quid to sit in a hide or land rover that someone else has set up -- Beats me !!! I take my pics mainly to get a point over about nature when doing a lecture. Thats really all I need them for.
Cheers
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes yes, and yes the black background works well (I am consistently inconsistent regards black backgrounds!!) the DOF is excellent and focus is spot on, three pods was a good choice, 1,2 or 4 would not have so much impact - lets see some more Johnny.

John Robinson
01-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks Jon
I have loads more but I don,t do a lot at the moment. I went onto 3D !! Thats another story.
John

Mitch Haimov
01-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Stacking worked very well! I don't see any artifacts.

Nancy Bell
01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
This has great visual impact! The composition of the 3 pods is great and I like the variety of peas inside, being similar but not exact copies. I think the black bkgd to the bright green peas is very dramatic and so nicely done with a common food item! Great stacking job.

Steve Maxson
01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Johnny. A very nice studio shot - interesting how the pods seem to be floating in mid-air. The black background works well for this presentation, the stacking was well done to get everything sharp, and I like the comp. I think a couple minor tweaks would make this strong image even better. There are a few light specks in the background between the two halves of the central pod - these would be easy to clone. Also, there are a few small areas where the whites seem to be blown - such as near the stems of the pods. You might try to selectively tone down those areas. Overall, this is an excellent image!

John Robinson
01-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks all.
Steve - I see the points you raise .Will do.
Cheers
John

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm fine with black BG's.....so this one really works for me!

Diane Miller
01-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Gorgeous -- the tonalities just glow, and I like the frame effect.

BenBotha
02-10-2014, 06:54 AM
I dont know much about macro and stacking but a great image!! The black background does not bother me.
Ben