PDA

View Full Version : Lechwe Ram

BenBotha
01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Lechwe ram, with gnats flying around the head, Moremi Botswana.

Canon 7D
500 F4 IS
ISO 320
F 4.4
1/500

Rachel Hollander
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi Ben - Nice look at an underrepresented animal on BPN. Colors look good. These sort of in between poses are often tough to compose. Looks like you were composing for the lechwe to be walking and looking to the right when it looked back. Tough to recompose sometimes on the fly. I would have preferred it a bit more to the right in the frame but not a deal breaker. Do you have just a tiny bit more room below? Overall, very nice image.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Nice image Ben, I agree with Rachel's comments. A bit more room below would have been nicer. Great look at this species. TFS.

edwardselfe
01-11-2014, 04:34 AM
Agree with the above. Great colours and beautiful light. I think it could do with a bit of selective sharpening, particularly on the head, horns and face.

Ed

Steve Kaluski
01-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Hi Ben, adding an overall mid tone just perks the image up, likewise a Curves adjustment too. In doing so, a lot more structure & depth will come out. If you have it, a fraction more below would be good, Ed's correct on more sharpening. I agree also with Rachel about the comp.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Ben,
great colors , nice setting , lovely BKG.
You already got various good suggestions made by the other guys, tonal tweaks , comp etc in which i agree .Think the image could benefit of some more work.

Very nice,TFS Andreas

BenBotha
01-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the comments, will try some of the suggestions later today. No space at the bottom unfortunately. Rp to follow later.
Ben

BenBotha
01-12-2014, 02:14 PM
I used a slightly different pose, a little more room at the bottom. Smart sharpen after edit. Slight crop in front. Tweaked tone a little. The smudge on the back is the oil on the skin, the love water.
'? Comments.

Ben

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi Ben, on reflection I think the OP is a better crop, but adding a bit more tone and sharpening has certainly helped. Perhaps a bit more 'tone' may help to gain some more depth, but I need to check.

Thanks for the RP.

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Very nice pose and light, Ben. I prefer the repost crop, but feel overall you could go darker in the lights and midtones for more "punch".

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
I prefer the repost crop, but feel overall you could go darker in the lights and midtones for more "punch".

That was my thinking about the tone Morkel, but working away at present so hesitant about a RP, but perhaps this may illustrate both our thoughts?

BenBotha
01-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Thanks the RP does have more punch.
Ben