PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Georgia?

Gayle Clement
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I will be doing some consulting in east-central Georgia for most of June. Any suggestions for good places to photograph would be really appreciated.

Michael Pancier
05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
St. Simons area is beautiful. nice marsh / swamp area nearby and a beautiful lighthouse.

Emory Moody
05-13-2008, 07:23 AM
As already noted, St. Simons is nice. About 25 miles north of St. Simons (just below Darien) is the Althahma Georgia DNR site. This past week-end the Altahama site had Bobolinks, Black-necked Stilts, Night Herons, Red-winged blackbirds, and nesting Ospreys.

Also about half-way between Savannah and Brunswick just off I-95 you might want to check out the Harris Neck NWR site. This past week-end they had Little Blue herons, Wood storks, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, various Night Herons, Painted Buntings, and lots more.

Hope this helps

Emory

Gayle Clement
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks so much, Michael and Emory. That sounds like two good possibilities.

Robert Smith
05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Can you be more specific about the area where you are going to be? The spots recommended are good, but there are some other "more inland" spots for some species as well.

Gayle Clement
05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Robert,
Much of my time will be inland, in the Augusta area. It would be great to find places I could visit in the late afternon near there. The coastal spots will be good for weekends.
Gayle

Robert Smith
05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Definitely go to Phinizy Swamp Nature Park there in Augusta. Prothonotary warblers, egrets, wood ducks, Acadian flycatchers, snakes, all the "normal" swamp critters. http://www.phinizyswamp.org/

I am a lot more familiar with places a tad further south. Let me take a peak back through my notebook, and I'll get back to you...

Robert Smith
05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
McDuffie Public Fishing Area near Thomson, Georgia. This one is real close to Augusta.

You'd have a decent chance at fox squirrels here. You could also pick up a few songbirds if you catch the birds being cooperative and the light right - chats, orchard orioles, etc. Lots of wetland/wetland edge birds as well. If they grew wheat in the dove field this year, you might could pick up an indigo bunting or blue grosbeak (or maybe even a rose-breasted grosbeak) on a wheat stalk.

Di-Lane Plantation Wildlife Management Area near Waynesboro, GA. This one is a bit to the south.

I like to drive the roads on properties like this one and shoot songbirds out the window from a beanbag. Depending on what roads are open, this property can be good. Very diverse, you just have to hunt for place that are open for vehicle access and that birds are using. Scattered food plots are pretty attractive for some birds right now, and the mixture of old field habitat/brush clumps is really attractive for orchard orioles & indigo buntings, and others....

Savannah Lock and Dam Park in Augusta, GA.
This is a quick and dirty stop if you happen to be in that area. Lots of woodland warblers as well as Mississippi kites over the river. It is small, and you either get something there or not. I wouldn't go out of my way to stop by, but since you are in Augusta, if you have an hour or so and need somewhere "different" to go, it could be good.

I'm not too familiar with the South Carolina side of the line over there any more, but the Savannah River Site (U.S. Department of Energy) has some great natural areas, but access has been restricted.

Hope you have a great trip & get some great images!

Gayle Clement
05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much, Robert. I went to the Phinizy Swamp site and it looks like just what looking for. I'm sure I'll try all of these places in that month. I'll let you know how I do.

Emory Moody
05-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Gayle,

I didn't realize you would be in the Augusta area. I live in Waynesboro which is about 25 mi south of Augusta.

By all means try Phinizy Swamp. It is just behind the Augusta airport. I was there last week and there were lots of wildlife. Also the Lock and Dam mentioned earlier is about 2 mi past the entrance to Phinizy.

If you are looking for good food in Augusta you might want to try T's (located on highway 56). Also Sconyers Bar-B-Q (they are open only on Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun).

Emory

Gayle Clement
05-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Emory I appreciate the food suggestions also. I went to Phinizy's website and it looks great.