PDA

View Full Version : Wild Garlic Flower

shane shacaluga
01-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Quite a while ago when I first got my 105 f2.8 macro lens I did some test shots on a few plants at wide apertures

I dont know why but I keep coming back to this image. I dont have a clue about flower shot or composition but i really like this one for some reason

I know the tips of the flowers are blown but it sort of gives the image a dramatic effect against the smooth background

I'd like you to comment on whether this works or not?

D7000
105 f2.8 micro lens @ f3.3
1/250
ISO 400
on board flash

Slight crop for composition and sharpened

Thanks

Jerry van Dijk
01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
hi Shane, I can see wh you like this! Exposure seems spot on and the light makes that the flower seems to glow from within. I like th e slightly diagonal position of the flower in the frame and the radiating position of the separate flowers in the head.
I like the shallow DOF but I would have liked a little more. Now, none of the flowers is completely sharp. I think the image would have more impact if for instnce the front most flowers would have been completely in focus. All in all a very pleasing image. Looking forward to see more of your macro images!

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Thes little flowers catch my eye to Shane and I see why you keep coming back to it. In cases like these I usually take a number of images from wide open to f16 or so. I like the fact that some is OOF ansome in focus. I think the little bit that would help would be to see just a tad more DOF so that the flowers just beginning to burst out could be seen more clearly.

shane shacaluga
01-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Have to try a few more of these when the condition are not that good for BIF ;)

Mitch Haimov
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I like this one as presented, Shane. This is an excellent subject--works well with shallow DOF and would be great for stacking as well. I would be inclined to try a version with the nearest buds sharp. Actually, using a tilt-shift/perspective-control lens set so the plane of focus angles through the nearest buds and the emerging flowers up top could be killer with this comp. (I don't have a T-S, but often wish there were one in my bag...) Many possibilities here.

Exposure seems fine to me--I see very few blown pixels. The BG is sweet and complements the greens very well.

Steve Maxson
01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi Shane. This is an image that will likely generate a variety of opinions based on the personal taste of the viewer. Very nice exposure, comp, and background. Some will love the rather abstract look of the shallow DOF. Others (like me) would like to see more DOF. In either case, this is an eye-catching image!

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Very nicely composed but I am with the hint more DOF group and Jonathan has covered my thoughts on a great DOF approach.