PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shoveler

Diane Miller
01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
This is not exactly an exotic find, but I haven't had much chance to shoot birds for a while so thought I'd put this one out. At a local "wetland" which isn't very wet this year. Shortly after sunrise. Wish the reflection of the beak wasn't distorted on the tip, but that's all I could get. She looked away in the next frame. And no getting lower thanks to goppy mud and a Canada Goose (make that Geese) campground. The lens was probably about 18" off the ground.

Canon 5D Mk III, 600mm II. Big Gitzo with Wimberley II. ISO 1600, f/5.6 1/1000 sec. 20% of the full frame. Very basic LR adjustments then to PS CS 6 to clone out two minor spots in the water and a touch of Smart Sharpen.

keith mitchell
01-10-2014, 04:14 AM
Diane I recon that the reflection really makes the image and would not worry about the bit of distortion on the bill, I cannot see anything that I would change on what looks like a very good image.

Keith.:S3:

gail bisson
01-10-2014, 05:12 AM
This is lovely Diane.
The POV is fine!
The stillness of the water gave you a killer reflection. In a perfect world the beak would also be perfect but it is not a deal breaker by any means.
Excellent look back pose. Lovely light as well.
I like the comp you have chosen but could also see a version with a bit more on top and a sliver off the bottom.( composition is so much a personal taste issue!)
Gail

Kevin Giannini
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi Diane,
Very nice image - I happen to like the POV cause it shows more of there reflection, which I also love. Very sharp and exposed perfectly, nicely cropped. I like the silkiness/smoothness of the water.
Regards,
Kevin

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-10-2014, 09:17 AM
I like the reflection here and the ripple wave in front of the shoveler. I also like the water drops on the back. I feel the bird is tilting forward perhaps needing a slight CCW rotation? I tried it here and it feels better to me . WDYT?

Marina Scarr
01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Killer reflection and I like the ruffled feather look and the calm water. Agree with Gail on less on the bottom b/c I feel it would give your duck more impact.

Jim Crosswell
01-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I like the sharpness, details and reflection. I agree with Gail's composition suggestion as well. Nice image Diane.

Diane Miller
01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks, everyone! I tweaked the rotation but I think I didn't go far enough -- Cheryl improved it. It's like trying to decide how "level" a shoreline should be when it is receding at a subtle angle. Whatever looks right is right.

I also like the ideas of less on the bottom. Things always look a little different posted here than they do in PS or LR.

Greg Oakley
01-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Very nice Diane - as others have mentioned, the reflection really makes this

Frank Schauf
01-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Very nice. Love the reflection!

David Salem
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Nice shot Diane. The reflection looks great as dose the duck. The repost looks better. Well done.

Diane Miller
01-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks, everyone. And Cheryl gets credit for the RP, with which I agree.