PDA

View Full Version : Says Phoebe

Glenn Conlan
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Caught this Says Phoebe coming back to her perch with her afternoon catch. Thanks for your comments. Shot from car window on a beanbag.

D4
600mm with 1.4tc
1/2500 sec
F5.6
Iso 800
Exp. Manuel
Pattern meter mode

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Oh man, what a sweet shot. Love that killer pose, the killer light and the killer bg.
Eye contact and prey takes this over the top.
I'm on a crappy laptop right now, but it looks like it could use a touch more sharpening.
I hadn't realized that the Say's had this ochre yellow hidden - I always thought it was just the rust orange/brown.

It was great meeting you in SoCal Glenn and hope you can make that birding trip to Texas this spring.

Marina Scarr
01-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Glenn, this is really a top notch image. The flight pose and light is simply divine, and the prey kicks it up another notch. Agree on more sharpening.

David Salem
01-09-2014, 08:40 PM
That was a fun evening Glenn. We both got the exact same frame, then we wound up out of sync. We got lucky that she spooked with our shutters and gave us this shot. Great lighting and pose as it hovered for a split second.
A little extra sharpening for the web but a killer shot all the way. Well done.

arash_hazeghi
01-09-2014, 09:20 PM
pose is killer so is the BG and prey. he seems a bit OOF though

I think you used AF (or was it pre-focus ?) so still impressive.

Doug Brown
01-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Wing position, prey item, and light don't get any better! A bit more sharpening will take this frame to the next level.

Diane Miller
01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
What an awesome shot! Love the BG -- perfect for the color of the bird. Wonderful to get this wingspread!!

keith mitchell
01-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Glen you have a cracking piece of wildlife photography here, excellent.

Keith.:S3:

gail bisson
01-10-2014, 05:14 AM
This is awesome.
Agree on a bit more sharpening (easy fix).
Love the light and the bug.
Well done,
Gail

Glenn Conlan
01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
pose is killer so is the BG and prey. he seems a bit OOF though

I think you used AF (or was it pre-focus ?) so still impressive.
I used autofocus but I put my focus point on the top of the perch that she was returning to so that when she landed she would hopefully be in the same focal plane. The feet, belly and beak seem to be fairly sharp but the wings were back a slight amount making them OOF. When I exported this from lightroom and downsized it am I losing all the sharpening I did previously? I applied a standard sharpening for screen in the Lightroom export dialog panel which is where it is downsized. Should I be doing something different? Thanks for your help

Jim Crosswell
01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
A real beauty Glenn! I like the wing position, fanned tail, complimentary BG, bug and composition. I agree with some more sharpening.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-10-2014, 11:08 AM
When I exported this from lightroom and downsized it am I losing all the sharpening I did previously?
Hi Glenn, it's best to sharpen after downsizing. Downsizing effectively undoes much of the sharpening you might have done to begin with.

arash_hazeghi
01-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi Glenn,

sharpen after resize and before saving. was the head in focus? if it was slightly softer you need to selectively sharpen it a bit more

Bill Dix
01-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Absolutely amazing flight shot; fantastic flight position, and the prey to boot. Sharpening (after resizing) will put this way over the top. Congratulations.

Robert Kimbrell
01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
A super shot, The exposure and pose are so nice, but to have a prey item Is over the top, and this is your 3rd thread? Welcome.

Frank Schauf
01-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Great timing, great action.

Troy Lim
01-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Amazing moment captured especially when doing it from the car. Agree with others on the sharpening.