200ISO
50th sec @f5.6
Tripod/Remote/Angle finder
Croppe slightly. Levels.
Cheers
JohnR

Mitch Haimov
01-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Very cool subject in an interesting setting. Your subject is well lit, I like that the low POV lets us see the gills, and the stacking worked well. However, I find the bright OOF highlights in the BG distracting--perhaps a slightly higher POV would have eliminated most of them while retaining the view of the gills. Overalll this image is well done.

John Robinson
01-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks Mitch
I agree- maybe I could have gone up a bit but probably tried to get too much of the gills in the shot.
I could clone out the bright bits but don't like doing too much.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Cheers
John

Jerry van Dijk
01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi John,this is a very nice image of these mushrooms. Although I like the colors that the environment adds, I agree with Mitch that there is a bit too much going on which distracts from the main subject. A good strategy when you have so many mushrooms together is to go in close and exclude the environment altogether. You'll get a somewhat abstract image with complete focus on what makes these shrooms so attractive.

John Robinson
01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks both. I take your point about getting in close and becoming more "abstact" as you put it. I do have a slight problem with that as I use these pictures for natural history lectures. The abstract side may be ok for camera clubs but maybe not for the local mothers union meeting ! If you know what I mean. I think with all my natural history stuff I try to include some small part of the habitat- especially with wide angle stuff. Each to theirown I suppose.

Thanks for your input.
John

Diane Miller
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Wonderful sharpness in all the mushrooms!! Love it!

Jerry van Dijk
01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
If you're after natural history, this works fine. I think it looks much better than the average mushroom shot!

Steve Maxson
01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi John. I guess we all see the world a little differently - I like this, as presented. :S3: The stacking worked well, I like the low shooting angle looking up into the gills, and your subjects are well lit. Because the highlights in the background are not the brightest portions of the image, they are not bothering me. This is very nicely done!