PDA

View Full Version : Banking Cory's Shearwater

shane shacaluga
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Another one from the Cory's Shearwater series

This one banked slightly above the water line so could not get the sea in the background

D800e
300f4 + 1.7x TC
1/4000
f7.1
ISO 500

I am not completely sure of the ISO but pretty sure it was that

Cropped vertically for composition and the usual PP and sharpening. Not a lot done to this one actually

Thanks for viewing

Shane

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I like the banking pose, underside details, sharpness and composition. Well done Shane.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Killer pose, exposure and comp (although I could see the bird moved into the frame just a bit more). Love it!

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Super lighting/exposure great pose, a really fine shot.
I would suggest the bird is slightly large in the frame (as is Shaneshac:S3:)

shane shacaluga
01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks

I was worried it would be small as I wanted to show as many details on the body as possible. The extended wings and the 900pixels max height make the body and head quite small in the frame

I forgot to make the font smaller to compensate for the vertically cropped frame

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I really liked this image as soon as I clicked on the thumbnail but my eye went straight to your signature. I would go smaller and lighter with your name. The font type is way too heavy ( for my taste !)
The light on the bird and details are excellent and I like the good look at the bill.
I would add a bit more canvas on the left.
The BG has some purplish wavy linear areas in the top third of the image. I am not sure what this is.? posterization.
Nice image,
Gail

John Robinson
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Hi Shane Not easy to crop with a position like this- not muh coice really. maybe would go a tad to the left but no big deal. Those wings eh ?!
Great stuff.
John

shane shacaluga
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys. Had not noticed those purple lines on the BG. Not a clue what caused it. Agree with the signature too and will address that.

Am being quite succesful on these seabird outings due to being cloee to the water and getting a lot closer to the subject than i can on land. Will focus more on them i think

John Rowell
01-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I like this banking pose and the bird is nicely sharp. I agree with others that crop is a bit tight. Interested in those purplish waves, are they in the .nef file or did this only show up in the small .jpg?

Satish Ranadive
01-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Excellent banking pose you have captured.
Love the wing position,HA, details,colors and BG.

Regards,
Satish.

shane shacaluga
01-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys

Need to check the raw file when I am back home after the 18th

Will let you know when i review this