PDA

View Full Version : King Rail

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
This was taken on a path leading to the North Beach shore at Fort Desoto SP, Florida. Its not the nicest looking image but I was glad to capture a few frames of this elusive bird in the open and in the grass. I cloned out a branch that entered the frame on the left midway up. The feathers must be coarse by nature as little sharpening was done on the back and chest area. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D MK IV
500L f4
ISO 1000
f6.3
1/320s
Tripod

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
ooo what an opportunity, Jim, and you handled it so well. Excellent pose.
Did he give you time to drop down and to get an eye level shot with oof fg/bg? Very well done, either way.

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
ooo what an opportunity, Jim, and you handled it so well. Excellent pose.
Did he give you time to drop down and to get an eye level shot with oof fg/bg? Very well done, either way.

Thanks Sidharth. He did give me that opportunity and I will post it soon. I took the camera off the tripod and moved slowly to the ground, unfortunately the BG was in the sun so I will have to work on the image a bit. This Rail eventually walked to within two feet of me before disappearing back into the grass. It was a great experience.

John Robinson
01-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Well done. ! If they're anything like our rails anyway.Well caught out in the open too. Maybe my gear(been playing again ) but looks a tiny bit bright. No biggie.
Cheers
John

Dan Brown
01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Great shot of an illusive critter! I really like the alert posture and eye contact. I am not at all good at ID'ing King versus Clapper Rails. I am not doubting your id here but what makes this a King and not a Clapper? I need the education! Can't wait to see the low angle shot here!

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Great shot of an illusive critter! I really like the alert posture and eye contact. I am not at all good at ID'ing King versus Clapper Rails. I am not doubting your id here but what makes this a King and not a Clapper? I need the education! Can't wait to see the low angle shot here!

Thanks Dan. When I looked in the book I thought it was a King Rail but after looking up the Clapper Rail I think you could be correct. I will wait to see if someone with more knowledge chimes in. Thanks for making me aware of this possibility. I am not that good at ID'ing as well.

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
WOW Jim. You made the most of a wonderful opportunity. In all the times I have been to Fort DeSoto I have never seen a rail there.
Comp is excellent and I love the light on the face. Perfect HA and to be able to see the entire rail from toes to beak is a treat indeed.
My only suggestion would be for a lower POV but I think you are saving that one for next!
gail

keith mitchell
01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi Jim,you did very well to get this one out in the open, interesting point you raised about the sharpness of the feathers but seeing this and other Rails I have seen this looks spot on .

Keith.

John Rowell
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Another very nice shot from your Ft. DeSoto trip. I like the natural colors and IQ looks very good to me. Looking forward to seeing the one from a lower position. Great job of taking advantage of a situation that presented itself.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
He did give me that opportunity and I will post it soon.
Thanks Jim. Looking forward to it.

This Rail eventually walked to within two feet of me before disappearing back into the grass.
Only in Florida :)

Diane Miller
01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
wonderful detail, especially in the face. I love the DOF and color of the bird against the soft blue-gray BG.

arash_hazeghi
01-10-2014, 02:06 AM
great pose, details and light. I especially like the view of the feet

Satish Ranadive
01-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Wonderful image. Very nice opportunity you have got and utilized it. Love the pose,nice HA,colors and composition.
TFS.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
01-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.