PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Taken last fall at Ft Desoto with my 300 lens. This tri color heron was putting on an amazing show for me while hunting for a meal.
1DMIII 300mm 2.8 with 1.4X
ISO 640 7.1@1/2500

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi Cheryl - I like the raised foot, pose and reflection. Nice detail, color and sharpness. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Ashleigh Scully
01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Hi Cheryl -

This is a great shot! I especially like the layering of the background and how the background colors complement the bird's colors.

Great job!

Troy Lim
01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Great action, raised foot. Wish the wing was separated more from the body. Did you get a few before or after?

christopher galeski
01-09-2014, 02:03 AM
nice capture,good light,love the raised foot,and as been said the BG colors compliment the colors of the bird.

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Really nice shot Cheryl. Great POV and pose
I particularly like the waterfall effect on the near foot and the little splash in front of the heron suggesting that the prey dove under the water.
I find the image a tad flat overall and would boost the blacks a bit and the saturation ever so slightly.
I would clone out the specular highlight on the bill as well ( if not against your ethics),
Gail

keith mitchell
01-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi Cheryl ,I like the way it's foot is ploughing through the water, very nice action shot that I would be well pleased with.

Keith.:S3:

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Love your low shooting angle and a look at that big foot with the dripping water. Dig the light reflecting on the body.
A slight more separation between the wings and the neck and a slight head turn our way would have been a bonus, but very nice as is.

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2014, 08:33 AM
The guys can be so fun to watch and photograph...almost Reddish Egret-ish. That is some pretty nifty water action going on there around the leg and foot. Nice low angle and layered BG. I was wondering about saturation so I am glad Gail brought that up, I agree.

John Robinson
01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi Cheryl
Everything fine- the foot and the water splash make it special. Nice angle of view too.
John

Marina Scarr
01-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Good point about giving this image just a tad more punch. Love seeing the raised foot and all the water falling off of it. Nice seeing all those details on the feathers, esp those under the raised wing.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Great action, raised foot. Wish the wing was separated more from the body. Did you get a few before or after?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Troy before or after what? My plunge into the Tampa Bay? LOL
Here is my repost. I boosted the midtones and a touch of contrast Removed the spec hilite which I thought I already did. I also removed a weird spot in front of the bird that was distracting me. Thanks for the suggestions .

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi Cheryl,
I think this is too much. Instead of using curves I would go to Selective Coloring in Photoshop and increase the blacks by 1 or 2 points in the neutrals. The increase overall saturation by only a point or two.
I did it on your JPEG and I thought it looked good,
Gail

Satish Ranadive
01-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Spectacular image, beautiful colors, very nice hunting pose with raised foot and flash of water.
Love the compo and low shooting angle.

Regards,
Satish.

Frank Schauf
01-11-2014, 03:23 AM
Superb shot! Excellent pose, great background, and very nice details.