PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

gail bisson
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
My first post of 2014.
Canon 1DX
F 600mm and 1.4x
ISO 800 f6.3 SS 1/2500
I did some major "optimization" with this shot and will post the original in Pane #2 in the interest of complete disclosure!
The eagles are baited with raw chicken or beef. We usually have to throw the bait far out on the ice or hope that the seagulls pick it up and drop it further out on the ice for the eagles to come in. But in this case, a stray piece of chicken was very close to me and the eagle still came in to get it. I heard and felt the air swoosh by me! Very cool experience!
PP: Added 20% canvas on LHS, cropped from right and bottom, levels, tried to decreased the blue in the snow, DE at 3%, USM to JPEG
I am not sure this image works because you cannot see the "prey".
Comments and critiques are always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

gail bisson
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Here is the untouched original

John Robinson
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi Gail
That,s about as good as it gets . Supposed to be critique but I can't think of any ! The look of power in those feet is something else.!!
First one definately.
Cheers
John

John Rowell
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
No doubt that this Eagle is a fighter and is completely focused on what's in front of him. What a terrific image. Wing position shows him getting ready to pounce with those super talons. Great job. Too bad the tip of his beak is interrupted by the wing, but I can't really call that an issue.

ThomasChadwick
01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Love the talons and the position of the eagle. Nice image!

Ashley Cohen
01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Fantastic pose and capture.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
That is one killer image Gail. The expression and ferocious talons go so well together. Great PS work too

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi Gail - I always love your eagle images and this is no exception. Great sharpness and pp work. I do like the snow detail at the bottom of the original frame and might include a bit more of it. The lack of prey is a complete non-issue for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Ashleigh Scully
01-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Wow this is great Ms. Bisson!

i think not showing the prey makes the image more interesting because it makes us wonder what he's going after. And when you make people look longer and think about your picture you've done a great job. Goodnight!

dankearl
01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Terrific image, Gail.
I am with Rachel about some more at the bottom.
nice PP work.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Killer peak action, Gail. I love it. Not seeing the prey does not bug me.
Very nice IQ with perfect exp and sharp details.
A very formulaic minor crit - I wish the bill wasn't merging with the far wing.
I'd clone the pice of ice between the leg and the tail.

Don Railton
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
This is superb Gail.. Love the Talons and the look.. No prey is no issue for me either..

thanks for showing!

DON

christopher galeski
01-09-2014, 02:08 AM
magic image Gail,sharp with great detail,good light,the pose brill.

Kasra.Ha
01-09-2014, 03:20 AM
It is miraculous and wonderful, Gail.
Even if the prey is not visible.
What a beautiful eye. Love the low angle.TFS

BenBotha
01-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Really an impressive shot. The eyes and claws shows that he/she means business.
Ben

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I have enclosed a version with more room at the bottom.
Ashleigh- please call me Gail!:S3: Ms. Bisson makes me sound old!!

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 07:45 AM
I like the sharpness, details, exposure, pose and great view of the talons. Composition wise I would prefer something in between your original post and the repost. Excellent image Gail!

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm OK with the crop in the OP...we are right in there with the action. Quite the intense and fierce look on this fella and right at the prime moment of the action...you would not think it was going for a piece of chicken! I'm OK too with no prey visible, it's easy to think it was just out of the frame anyhow. The bill tip is visible enough against the dark feathers that having it merged with the wing, although minimally unfortunate, is not too bad. I agree with eliminating the bright piece of snow between the leg and tail.

Marina Scarr
01-09-2014, 09:45 AM
The OP works much better for me, Gail. Love the vicious look of this raptor and those outstretched talons add quite a punch! Great PS work!

David Salem
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Talk about impact!!! One of the most captivating eagle frames I have seen in a while. Very sharp and well exposed. The readied talons and the look on its face is serious and tells all. One of your best, No, your best eagle frame IMHO.

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Gail what a way to start the year you are going to have to work super hard to maintain this standard! I love the image and the fact the prey was missing never occurred to me. My only thought was that the bird was a tad large in the frame, the size in the second pane looks ideal to me. The other thing - have you tried flipping the image horizontally - it looks even more impressive to me!

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Here is one last repost. I cloned out the piece of ice between the feet and flipped it horizontally (never did that before.Kind of fun!) and did a crop between op and repost #2.
Love all your ideas and how we see things differently. I had not even noticed the piece of ice between the feet.
Gail

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Repost looks great Gail! The flip works good if you want to frame and hang an image and its close to a corner. You can have the bird looking or flying away from the wall and into the room instead.

Rachel Hollander
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Gail - last rp is great!

Jerry van Dijk
01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi Gail, it doesn't get any better than this! My vote is for the OP.

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Gail the repost = 10/10 just try to ignore the strength, the power the magnificence, this guy means business.

Glenn Conlan
01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Have seen alot of Eagle shots thru the years but this one really has that "WOW" factor. Lots of emotional appeal which is rare.

Glenn

Satish Ranadive
01-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Gail,
I really love all the compositions,loved the last one. Great pose, wonderful colors,nice lights and magnificent sharp talons.

Regards,
Satish.

keith mitchell
01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Wow Gail I nearly missed this one, think it as been covered very well above ,it's excellent very well done go to the top of the class:5

Keith.:S3:

Robert Kimbrell
01-10-2014, 07:45 PM
A very fine image Gail. A pose like we all hope for but seldom see. You did a nice job on the processing.

Frank Schauf
01-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Excellent incoming pose and sharp details.