PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant Close Up

John Robinson
01-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Pheasant in front of the kitchen window. You either like big head shots or you hate them !! I don't think one every now and then hurts. Pheasants make a good subject for head detail I suppose.
Nikon D 200
Sigma 50-500mm
Tripod /Hide.
800 ISO
125th @f9
70% crop from full frame
PP in Paint Shop Pro
Levels
Neat Image
CZM for high pass sharpening.
Thanks for looking and comments on my last pic.
Cheers
John R

Kevin Giannini
01-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Hello John,
I happen to like portraits now and then, and this makes for a beautiful image. Very detailed and you've processed the reds nicely. I've read varying views of the Sigma 50-500mm, but your posts with this lens are always very sharp. It almost seems a little too tight at the top, at least to me. Question: When people/you say 70% crop, does that mean you've cropped away 70% or that 70% remains? Sorry for the elementary question but sometimes posters word it slightly different and I never am sure what it means.
Regards,
Kevin

John Robinson
01-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Kevin
Thanks. Yes as Ithink I mentioned somewhere before- the Sigma is great when you get it right- terrible when you don't.!! It really does need a good tripod and good conditions. I think its certainly better than the 150-500mm version.
I too get confused over the cropping descriptions so I took the easy way . 70% means there's 30% removed- if that makes sense. Like threequarters of the frame. Its only roughanyway.
Cheers
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
01-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Nice shot Johnny, I too like pheasant close ups I have posted a few. I like the image good detail and fine focus, but the colours are for me OTT- in particular the reds.

Jim Crosswell
01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I have never seen a close up of a pheasant before. I like the details, colours, HA, BG and composition. Very well done John!

David Stephens
01-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Wonderful portrait, full of feather details and accurate color. I think that portraits are appropriate every so often, like this, when you get perfect light and a willing subject.

In the US, this would be an incredible shot of a bird in the wild. Our wild pheasant are so skittish that you'd have to shoot and mount one to get this kind of shot. When the wife and I visited The Cotswolds, Cumbria and Yorkshire in 2012, I noticed the pheasant roaming around, acting like chickens. When I told my host that the pheasant were acting very strange, letting me approach and acting like I might give them a handout, he told me that they do indeed feed them en masse and then bring the shooters out from London and use the dogs to make them fly. They're a big money maker for the estates.

I'm not meaning to diminish your wonderful shot, just sharing my reaction to how differently the same species will act in different circumstances.

John Robinson
01-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks all

Jon- yes it was made a bit "pretty"for a card company to be honest !
David- From a hide they are usually quite stupid - especially the males, but I agree out in the open they can be really skittish. This one as I recall was about 15 foot in front of the hide.
Cheers
JohnR

Martin Dunn
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
a lovely close up John. Pheasants really are very photogenic if you can get them to stand still long enough.
For me the colours are a bit over-saturated - but you've explained why that is.

BenBotha
01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
What a colourful bird. I agree with the above.
Ben

John Robinson
01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks
By the way the saturation wasn't boosted at all. Must be the levels adjustment. Mind you get a bit of sun on them and they can look pretty good !
JohnR

Ashleigh Scully
01-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Beautiful shot Mr. Robinson!

Amazing sharpness and colors. Also the little star of light on the beak catches my eye - really cool!

christopher galeski
01-09-2014, 02:13 AM
nice portrait,love the colors,the light make it feel like summer,can not be in the uk:bg3:.

gail bisson
01-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Hi John,
I really like this.
Full of detail and rich colors.
The head angle is perfect.
Techs are great as well,
Gail

John Robinson
01-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Interesting about the colours. The iridescence of some of the neck colours do look OTT but with the sun on them they do look like that. Just had a male in the garden in the first bit of sun we,ve had for ages and he looked really smart.
Thanks again- always nice to get appreciative comments on pics using a budget camera:t3:S3:

Cheers
John

Satish Ranadive
01-09-2014, 08:19 AM
What a wonderful colors you have captured here with gear IQ.
Excellent portrait.

Regards,
Satish.

David Salem
01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
I love portraits and what a great subject for one. Great colors, textures and details. Well done

Marina Scarr
01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
This image is crazy good. Never seen anything like this of a pheasant. Colors and details are impressive.

Frank Schauf
01-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Beautiful and colorful image.

John Robinson
01-11-2014, 06:05 AM
Thanks all for your comments.
very helpful and ppreciated.
Cheers
JohnR