PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe

Steve Kaluski
01-08-2014, 05:48 AM
Not the world's most stunning image of a Giraffe, but to have them sitting makes a change. I do however like the Ox pecker perched at the rear. Not sure why there was scorched grass, as it wasn't a controlled burn, Ed any ideas?

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Southern Giraffe (Giraffa cameleopardalis giraffa)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO400 FF

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi Steve - nice pov and I like the diagonal of the neck through the frame. Techs are great as usual and the oxpecker does add to it. I only wish for a little more room on the rhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Excellent IQ & colours are spot on Steve! I like the sitting pose, quiet different and pleasing. Techs superb as usual.

Gabriela Plesea
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I like this image Steve, something different and to me there is enough space on the RHS, well framed and presented and colours very natural. Regarding grass, at first I thought it had to be the shadow of the giraffe but then I saw another clump of "burnt" grass on the bottom of the image, now not so sure:2eyes2:, could this be the site of an old kill? Or dried blood from an animal giving birth? Looking forward to see what the others have to say:w3

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi Steve,
unusual view of a giraffe ,which makes this working for me nicely.
Enough space all around for me with nice coloration, but i would go for more ……, just me.Oxpecker is a very nice bonus.
One suggestion would be to burn the brightest HL in the giraffe to get more definition and detail visible, if it is working.

I do not think this image has your usual IQ in terms of sharpness and clarity, i think at that exposure it should be pin sharp with all the fine hairs more defined, which is not the case i feel.Or is the slight blurriness coming from heat haze ? Or is it just simply me not seeing this ?

Sorry to say that, but think i will get an answer

Cheers Andreas

BenBotha
01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
A completely different pose, I like it. I think the dark grass is a different species and not burned grass, and the shadow of the neck might also contribute to the darker areas. The texture is different, thicker. In Afrikaans,my language, we call it Biesies, I cannot recall the English name It grows in water rich areas.
Ben

Anette Mossbacher
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi Steve,

as usual all spot one. For me, I need more room. Especially on the right and above the head. Just me :w3
I have seen Giraffes sitting like this. They might rest, I would with such long legs and big body and long neck…. oh.. where is my sofa??

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette :bg3:

Loi Nguyen
01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Hi Steve, it is certainly an unusual image of a giraffe and for me a new species of giraffe. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys in late March/early April. I like the stretched neck, but wish the head angle towards you a little more to have better eye contact. For this close shot of a large subject, I wonder why you chose f5.6 and not f8 for example to get more DOF? I can see fine details on the vertical hair running down the back of the giraffe, but not on the skin. Is it because of the way this species looks? TFS. Loi

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Not often seen them lying down Steve - although I did recently in the Mara.
Nice one - feels a bit tight for me but I always like giving giraffes space as they seem so awkward in most photos :t3.
There seems to be a patch of black on his hind quarters too - perhaps rubbed off from the grass.

Marc Mol
01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Agree on some extra room and it's unusual to see lying down more so out in the open, you will see them in a group resting down huddled under trees.
Good lighting & colour Steve.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks folks and a quick note, however Andreas goes to the top of the class this week with his observation. It would be wrong for me to ask him why without seeing the RAW so...

I do not think this image has your usual IQ in terms of sharpness and clarity, i think at that exposure it should be pin sharp with all the fine hairs more defined, which is not the case i feel.

We all shoot differently and also how we compose the image too. From the outset of being able to move the FP by rotating the 'wheel' on the back of the camera I have framed and then moved the FP. Some people prefer to lock the focus and then re compose. My method can mean you may miss the shot, and this is why I say, spend as much time with your camera as things become 'instinctive'. If I do not shoot for a week or so, then I may miss some shots next time I take the cameras out until I get the 'rhythm' again which doesn't take that long, hopefully :bg3:. Predicting your subjects movement also helps too.

Therefore, in this instance framing was a given being FF, but the FP was dialled to on the eye/head which was on the furthest extremity points of the FP zones. So, your accuracy is/will be less than when using the centre point, this is in theory, the sharpest part of your camera. So sharpness will begin to drift ever so slightly irrespective of having this calibrated.

Hope this answers your thoughts Mr Leidmann, good call. :w3

Cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Dear Steve,
your answer is way to complex for my limited english and is sounding a bit cryptic !!!!
Sorry for not understanding you straight away, so you could you please say this in short words again just for me...

am i right with my observation or not ….?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Sorry Andreas, hope this helps..

You have 45 FP's on the MKIV in an oval, yes? I would have selected one on the outer ring so the sharpness will not be as crisp compared to using the centre spot. As I'm away and without the RAW I'm going from memory about the 'actual' point used.

Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Steve i understood the technical part of FP straight away, i was simply not understanding if you agree in being not as sharp and detailed as your "normal" sharpness? All the cryptic words around, just sharp or not that sharp.

It could be as simple as that, but understand that you answer it your way, just my problem to understand....... sometimes a bit more difficult to get the things understood.

But any how thanks for clarifying.

Cheers and good night ,Andreas

edwardselfe
01-11-2014, 04:16 AM
Hmm - I'm not sure what that black area is. I thought initially the shadow and then when someone questioned it, I also though it was the remains of a kill, but then dismissed that as the grass would be flattened from the carcass and the feeding activity. No idea.
Interesting pose from the giraffe and not one we see often. I think the processing and everything is good - just that she looks a little awkward that's all.
Ed