PDA

View Full Version : CA Dept. of Fish & Wildlife to allow fishing at Bolsa Chica

John Guastella
01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this post, but I want to get this information out to as many bird lovers as possible.

I just learned from the Orange County Birding website that the California Department of Fish and Wildlife is going to allow fishing in the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. If this decision goes through, it will be an absolute disaster for the birds in that reserve - the encounters between birds and fishing gear always end in death for the birds, and Bolsa Chica is such an important bird habitat and breeding ground that the damage to both local and migrating bird populations will be devastating.

I encourage everyone who cares about birds to email and/or call the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to protest this decision. I also encourage you to contact the local Audubon groups and any other wildlife organizations you can think of to mobilize them against this ridiculous decision. I'm also personally going to contact the Orange County Register and LA Times about this, as I'm sure CA F&W would like to try to implement this decision without the spotlight of the media on them.

John Guastella
Irvine