PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Morning

Don Lacy
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
When I was heading to the beach on this morning and driving over the bridge that crosses the inlet I almost turned my car around and headed home when I saw the sky was filed with a low cloud bank but I was up and you never know I just might get lucky with some color. So I get to the beach set up for twilight about 45 minutes from sunrise and wait and wait some more take a few images but nothing really worth keeping as I start to think about heading home again I see a bit of red start developing so i stick around a little longer about ten minutes latter the sky just lights up :S3:

This image did well on 500px which has me thinking I might be over processing these images and relying to much on midtone contrast would be interested in what others think.

Canon 6D, 17-40 f/4 at 17mm, 1.6s at f/16 and .8s at f/16, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 200, Tripod, Two image blend with Nik and PS work

David Stephens
01-06-2014, 11:14 PM
It's usually the twilight where you get these great colors.

I like your selection of Contrast here. Nobody questions the unrealistic long-exposure smooth wave that's become the norm, so what's wrong if the Contrast is slightly beyond real. This will sell. Tone it down a stop or two and you've got an "accurate" shot that no one will buy. Is it "artistic"? No doubt, yes. Look at that surf. It's not real. I think of this as realistic artistic interpretation and it's totally acceptable.

Go check out some galleries where this type of thing sells for $1,000 per 48" print and this'll be the norm, not the exception.

Diane Miller
01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
This is WONDERFUL!!!

andresleon
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
It's a lovely image and capture, Don. Wonderful job!

My only question or comment is that the EXIF in this pictures says that it was taken at 4:12 am and I know that sunrise on the East coast is a little after 7 am. Maybe the time on your camera is off? or was this the light two hours before sunrise? :)

Also, is this by the Jupiter Inlet and Blowing Rocks? I've visited that place many times but have never really been able to capture something like this image. I live about an hour south of that so the trip is a bit long. I will have to try again and again until I get it!

Don Lacy
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
It's a lovely image and capture, Don. Wonderful job!

My only question or comment is that the EXIF in this pictures says that it was taken at 4:12 am and I know that sunrise on the East coast is a little after 7 am. Maybe the time on your camera is off? or was this the light two hours before sunrise? :)

Also, is this by the Jupiter Inlet and Blowing Rocks? I've visited that place many times but have never really been able to capture something like this image. I live about an hour south 15 of that so the trip is a bit long. I will have to try again and again until I get it!
Hi Andres, the image was made about 30 to 15 minutes before sunrise at 7:10 not sure why the exif time is off will have to check my camera
Good guess on the location I live in Jupiter and this stretch of beach is about ten minutes from my house send me a PM and I will give you all the details. You need to hurry once they start the beach replenishment this area will be covered up by sand

dankearl
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
This doesn't look over the top to me at all.
Kind of tame by 500px standards.
Other than the stylized water, this looks vivid but not unreal to me.
While 500px can be a little much, I thnk good landscape photography should not be snapshots.
Most isn't and the best ones for me, (Art Wolfe, Marc Adamus), do pump things up a bit.
Yours is well done.

Dave Mills
01-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi Don, Nicely divided image and well composed. Beautiful light with an interesting foregound. The soft water flow adds to the overall look of the image. Well done!

Don Railton
01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
This is beautiful Don... I especially love the depth you have in the sky. Looks almost 3D

DON

Rachel Hollander
01-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Don - this works very well. Beautiful colors combined with nice water and waves. Blow it up and hang it.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Pretty awesome Don! Love everything about it and one of your best from this location!

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2014, 04:31 PM
This looks great, Don! :cheers:
Personal taste, but I would go darker if it were to go on my wall, about 0.3 stop overall :w3

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Hi Don, perfect and would not change a thing! :5

Tom Redd
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Another beauty Don!