PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Fox

Rachel Hollander
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Another of one of the fox kits taken in Svalbard in August.

Canon 5D3
300 II plus 2x III
1/400
f5.6
ISO 1600
Tripod, cropped for comp about 25%, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-07-2014, 04:22 AM
Hi Rachel, glad you were able to spend some time with these little characters.

As an image, sadly it doesn't grab me unfortunately, I think if there were more cubs or that they were playing/interacting then the dynamics of the image would dramatically change. Very minor, but I might be inclined to either lose a sliver off the top, but certainly some off the FG. Not sure, but based on viewing on the laptop, dropping the blue in the rocks and adding a mid tone adjustment layer seems to help the overall image, the grass has more depth, but my screen is not as accurate as at home, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Rachel,
i like the downhill walking pose of this young chap.I am not asking for some mates to play with :w3.
I quite like the overall color but would agree by toning down the blues in the rocks.
Overall a bit light and flat in tonal variation, maybe a mid tone would help, as per Steve.

I would change the crop , because this little guy looks a bit lost in the almost center of the image, i personally would give him more space to the right and leave almost everything in the FG, but would loose some on LHS and top.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
01-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks Steve and Andreas for the comments and suggestions. I think Andreas's suggestion for an alternate crop works better for me than Steve's. I sort of like the fg with the flowers and plenty of space for the fox to trot into (which it did).

Thanks again,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Nice sighting Rachel. Agree with an alternate crop. I like the setting very much. TFS.

dankearl
01-08-2014, 12:42 AM
I also second a crop alternate, I would go tighter, maybe 2/3 of the frame.
It appears the image could handle it. The fox looks great.

edwardselfe
01-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Nice details and behaviour - think it's a bit thin and flat as per other comments. Crop suggestions are interesting and good possibilities.
Ed

Anette Mossbacher
01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi Rachel,

you lucky duck with those animals. We saw only one far away. I as well agree with the crop suggestion with this one.

Have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
To me, not as appealing as some of your other Svalbard stuff, Rachel. A nice documentary image, though. I wonder why you didn't shoot from a lower POV? Ditch the tripod and crouch, shooting handheld?
I'd go with Mr Liedmann's crop :5